Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Advice please: What would you choose?

Hello, I'm a complete novice but would like to get in to DSO photography.. All I have done for months is read and absorb as much as I can, while having a small dabble along the way.

I'm looking at buying some new equipment but am torn which way to spend my budget. So would welcome some advice from people with experience, as it seems to be a mine field out there, but am ready to make the jump.. I will buy the book making every pixel count.

This is what I've got: Astrotrac, Manfrotto 055XPROB, 410 geared head, Sirui K-40x ball head and a Sony NEX 6 with kit lens and 210mm f6.3 zoom.. I'm also in the process of modifying an old telescope tripod to also use with the above.

I'm picking up later today a astro mod Canon 450, but no lenses.

These are my 2 options i'm currently considering:

Buying a Canon 200m f2.8 lens, canon 1.4x extender and a Tokina 11-16 f2.8 lens and use it with the above equipment. (Total around £1200-1300)

Or

Buying a Celestron Advanced VX (would consider EQ5 PRO) Skywatcher ED80 and Flattener, (Total around £1300) and further down the line add a guide scope when more funds allow.

With an outside chance that has recently caught my eye, Sigma 50-500mm f4.5-6.3 APO DG OS HSM (£800) and try and use it with my Astrotrac

Also completely open to suggestions??

Thanks in advance.

To my understanding the astrotrac has a 15kg load capacity when have you that travel pier Mount or any other Heavy duty Mount.

Seeing the price of a good tripod / travel pier. I think you could just try sell the Astrotrac Equipment and get the Advanced VX Mount or HEQ5 Pro SynScan.

Then buy the Equinox 80 ED Pro With flattener and use it With Your incoming modded Canon 450D.

That would be a much better starting point with serious kit.

PS. But if you would like to keep the astrotrac, then I would get this (to get the max performance out of the astrotrac): http://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p3738_Compact-stowing-travel-pier.html

and this is vital: http://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p1757_Polar-viewfinder-for-the-AstroTrac.html

It is a Nice piece of kit tho and very portable. With the travel pier it can easily support the Equinox 80 ED.

But know it has no GoTo functionality like the above Mounts.

If it was me i would go for the canon lens every time but it will limit the choice of targets a little the sigma looks good too the extra focal length would be better for some DSO.

The scope combo is well tried and tested but there are alternatives from WO which have better focusers.

Alan

That is really just a matter of preference since either setup can take good images but of different targets. I'd pick the camera lenses but then I'm already imaging using camera lenses (Sigma 24-70 and Canon 70-200 + 1.4 extender).

Thanks for all the replies, I'm leaning towards the AVX and ED80 route, I've just picked up my Canon 450d baader mod camera. So now need something to use with it :)

Think I will also need Astronomik CLS clip in filter, to help cut out light pollution.

Archived