NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Decent quality Red Head Torch??

Hi all,

I have got a crappy head torch which does have a Red LED setting, but to get to it / turn it on you have to first scroll through three settings of bright white LEDs (including flashing ones :rolleyes:). Using this if anyone else is around is going to get me some frowns and ruin any night sight I had gained, so can anyone recommend me a good quality, just Red LED head torch (or hand torch if there are no good head ones). A link to one would be even better; if that is allowed?

Cheers,

DDS :)

I use one from Wilkinsons at only £3.99, it is a single red LED and 3 white LEDs with a 3 position centre off switch so you dont have to scroll through the white lights to get the red on. Cheep but does the job :)

Lorne's suggestion looks very good, particularly at the cost. A one LED light will retain the night vision of your self and any one else who is around.

I happen to use a petzl elite, very compact /  functional, which has a one LED setting function and it does not interfere (get in the way) when wearing and looking through the eyepiece. Costs more though, I had originally purchased for hill walking / wild camping, yet it has become integral to my astro kit.

Edit - the red light setting on this torch does not require you to switch between the other setting options, it will simply switches on / off to the red light setting

If the "decent quality" part of your header is the important element then I use and recommend this...

http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/petzl-tikka-plus-2-headtorch-p103507

I've seen them used by S @ N presenters too. Yes I have a cheapy one from Aldi and it's alright but I think of it like this: I drive a Skoda...It's alright. But an Aston Martin?

Know what I mean?

Steve

Thanks for the advice, ended up ordering one of the petzl elite from Amazon.  Had a despatch note, so should get it tomorrow :).

Cheers,

Dave

I've seen these elites in outdoor shops they look great. I bet you hardly know you have it on they are very small. My petzl strap is perished and the elastic is not stretchy any more from salty water. I'd be interested in feedback on this model.

Max

Archived