Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

(Don't laugh!!) Seben EQ mount

tich

I was given a Seben EQ mount last year I think it's the one that used with the 6" tube. I've stripped it down regreased it & it feels like quite a solid mount, ok so it's a bit crude but seems to function quite well. The only problem is with it is that it won't accept a standard Vixen dovetail. It seems that the puck is a few mm narrower so I was thinking about making the puck wide enough to accept a standard vixen by filing away at the edges.

Has anyone done this mod with one of these mounts or similar?

Lol well I'm fed up of cleaning my eyepieces so I've got to find something to do :p

Perhaps you could do a write-up afterwards too? It would probably be a lot of help to other Seben EQ mount owners :).

It's good to do these sorts of DIY things now and then, gives us something to do instead of staring at the cloudy skies..

I'll probably just file out the edges until the Vixen dovetail bar fits it only looks like it needs a couple of mm taken off but I will post some pictures when its done.

• 2 weeks later...

I modded the puck tonight & it seems to be ok. pretty easy to do although I don't think I'd want to mount a 6" newt onto it. However it holds a C80ED or the 6" SCT just fine.

An easy modification to do I just cut a slither off the puck opposite the screw as Jules mentioned above one side did have a bit more metal that the other. I filed it afterwards just to tidy it up a bit. I might drill & tap an extra hole so I can fit a safety screw at a later date.

1798807_10152007330323434_149567914_n.jp

75991_10152007330298434_1331496419_n.jpg

1013739_10152007330558434_1871808770_n.j

Not knocking your work but don't over tighten it now as there's not a lot of meat left there now :-)

There wasn't much there to start with Knobby should be ok for a small scope, I will be keeping an eye on it though & if there's any problems I've got a standard skywatcher puck that I'll adapt to fit if need be.

Archived