Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

450D Help Needed Please!!

Mick UK

I've modded (well tried too) my Canon 450D and removed the IR filter and its housing completely and as i put it back together these copper shim things fell out and i dont have a clue were they came from??? :cry:

Ive tested the camera and it powers up then it wants me to input the date/time etc and if i press the shutter button, it goes into rapid fire mode and only stops when i switch the camera off AND remove the battery.

As soon as i put the battery back in, its does the same again, powers up and asks me to input the date/time etc.

Ive tried several times removing the back again and re-seating the ribbon cables but it doesnt cure anything.

Im not sure what ive done wrong here, as ive modded my 350D with no problems but any help would be GRATEFULLY appreciated.

:embarassed: :embarassed:

post-5229-0-49770400-1391825781_thumb.jp

The shims go under the CCD, on the pegs that hold the sensor.  Without the shims your autofocus will be off, which might be fine if you plan to focus manually. I would try to keep the shims in the original locations, but at this point you would have to make an educated guess.  Probably one per peg.

The shims are unrelated to the other issue.  Maybe you should reseat the connectors again.  I don't know what else to try.

Btw, I also modded a 350d and a 450d, and the 450d is a nice improvement!

Doug

Thank you Doug, thats great to hear  as i wont need autofocus as i only want the camera for astro work, i was a bit concerned they might have had something to do with the other issue but hopefully someone may be able to help me with that now that you've told me what the shims are for. .

:smiley:

HA!!!,,,Silly ME!....i'd only put the circuit board over the top of the push on connector that fits onto the right of the chip and so hadnt put it in!  :shocked:   :grin:

The Camera is working fine now!!  Thanks for the help Guys :smiley:

Hi Mick,

Glad you get your 450D back on line :)

About the shims, there's just one thing you must test, those shims are made to colimate the sensor to get a paralel focal plane, if you don't put them on the same order you might have "sensor tilt" and this will show on you images as out of focus in just one side of the sensor or in a corner, you must identify if the out of focus corner need in or out focus to be good, and then based on this you can exchange the shim stack to compensate for this.

Let me know how this worked for you, ok?

Cheers,

Luís

Hi I am new to this forum. I live in Brazil and recently purchased a used Canon 450D. Today it has been converted to full spectrum. My desire is to remove the Bayer filter on a spare sensor that acquired by Ebay.

Rinaldo

Archived