Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Which is better mount

peeceeTal2M

Hi, i've the opportunity to purchase one of 2 mounts and was wondering which is the better mount, I have an Orion europa 10" scope which will go on it. The choices are either a 6 month old HEQ5 which has been little used or an old (7+ years) Vixen GP DX mount. your opinions would be appreciated.

Phill

The HEQ5 has a higher weight capacity that the vixen.

But I would say that IMO the 10" is very close to the maximum load for the HEQ5 and too much for the Vixen.

If it was a smaller scope then I would probably gone for the vixen.

Ant

I'm with Ant, he beat me to it! However, the HEQ5 is routinely sold with their 10" Reflector and although I think it is marginal with this 'scope, if those are your only options then the HEQ5 would be the better choice because of it's extra carrying capacity over the Vixen. You also have an upgrade path with the HEQ5 to make it GoTo and if you are adventurous, to the EQMod.

hmm that's a tough one. The HEQ5 edges (12Kg vs 11Kg) it on capacity. But the GPDX is the better engineered mount by a long shot. When i had a GP i couldn't believe how smooth it felt compared to all the Skywatcher mounts i had owned. And beneath the surface the quality continues with superior gears etc.

The HEQ5 is far neater though, no messy cables everywhere. And it can be stripped and regreased for a smoother operation.

Both mounts will take the 10" Europa because Orion make their tubes very light. It won't weigh too much more than a Skywatcher 8" but more importantly, far less than the Skywatcher 10".

Personally i'd go with the HEQ5.

Russ

Phil, i was just looking at the OVL/Skywatcher catalogue and the stated capacity for the HEQ5 is 18KG not 12

:shock: I think they're being VERY optimistic with 18 kilos. It may track an object with that weight on it's back but you wouldn't have a cat in hell's chance of balancing it without the extension bar. I had a Skyliner 250 OTA on one and I thought I was pushing my luck and that weighed about 13 Kg.

Tony..

Well i'm just quoting what the company catalogue said and as for balancing it ,i have a 250PX and a meade kestrel spotting scope(1.5 kg) on my HEQ5 and only needed one extra weight without an extension bar,and it is properly balanced. :D

Well you must be one of the lucky ones. Myself and many, many others have had trouble balancing a 10" newt OTA on a standard HEQ5. And I'm also sure many people would think that a HEQ5 wouldn't take an 18Kg payload without putting serious, if not too much strain on the mount.

Anyways, we're veering off topic....

Tony..

Hmm 18Kg :D I think OVL have been smoking the funny stuff. 18Kg is a very big OTA :shock: If it could carry that weight why did Synta even bother beefing up the EQ6 to carry the 300P. I took the 12Kg's from the TS website. And having owned a HEQ5 and the 250P, i can safely say that the 12Kg 250P OTA is the most the HEQ5 can take.

Russ

Hi, i've the opportunity to purchase one of 2 mounts and was wondering which is the better mount, I have an Orion europa 10" scope which will go on it. The choices are either a 6 month old HEQ5 which has been little used or an old (7+ years) Vixen GP DX mount. your opinions would be appreciated.

Phill

What a fantastic scope you have. I have one too but only looked through it once so far, but what a view. anyway, the HEQ5 would more than likely be the best as it will take at least twice as much as the Vixen, but do some quick and easy research first. Don't forget about GOTO which I don't think the HEQ5 has.

Clear Skies (Hopefully)

Rigel1

My HEQ5 just manages my 9kg C9.25.

In your shoes I would definitely be thinking about an EQ6.

Just me two penneth :D

Know what you mean. I have the EQ6 Pro and still found I need an extra weight with my tube of 11.5Kg.

I need to do a bit of research myself but take a look at (for my life I can't remember which), a recent astro mag with a 10" shoot out. Really good reading.

But to be honest, I'm trying to keep my opinions based on the choice of either the Vixen or the HEQ5.

Thanks for the input guys, Orion state the weight of the 250 Europa is 10kg, I've only added a telrad to that and don't intend to put any guidescopes or heavy cameras on it so i reckon the overall OTA weight should never exceed 12kg. I know that an EQ6 would be the best way to go but even secondhand their price is more than i can afford, unless someone knows of one for sale at a HEQ5 price :D

many thanks

Phill

Archived