Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Finally got First Light!

Well, after what has seemed to be the longest week ever after getting my first scope last Sunday, the clouds finally decided to split up for more than 5 minutes. Just before it got dark at about 5pm the sky was cloud free and none could be seen in the immediate distance, so I decided to go for it and get set up. 

By the time I got the EQ3-2 set up, leveled and pointing north and the Evostar 90 perched on top of it and nicely balanced it was just turning dark. Not many stars could be seen but Jupiter was up there shining away. I couldn't wait any longer! Lined up the shining dot in the finder scope and when I put my eye to the 25mm EP I seen it! WOW!! Clear as day, there she was. A nice small crisp dot with 2 bands of red going diagonally across it and 4 moons in a line either side of it!

I had to see more! Threw the 10mm in and refocused. A slightly bigger dot with slightly bigger red bands going across it with the moons, all nicely in the FOV and moving slowly left to right. Tracked it across the sky for 10 mins in awe. 

Thought Id try out the Barlow attached to the 10mm to see if any more could be seen, but it didn't seem much different from the 10mm on its own. Seems some new EPs will need to be acquired in the near future.

After this I swung round to the Pleides. Found it nicely in the finder scope and went to the 25mm EP. It was just a bit too close to get the full effect. Got the 7 Sisters in the FOV .... just .... but would be more spectactular I feel if more could be seen. Perhaps a 32mm EP needed for this one!

Once I was done gazing at the Pleides I tried to track down Andromeda. Got the Star Map up on the phone and tried to spot it. Found Pegasus no problem and followed the stars up to Mirach and looked Northwards. Was able to find it with the naked eye and bins, but could I get it in the finder scope? NO! Tried it again with no joy, and again and again. Bit more practice required I guess :)

By this time the cloulds were rolling in, so I swung back to Jupiter for a final 15mins before the clouds completely blocked up the sky :(

Not a bad first night, but another 5 hours of clear sky would have been nice :D Was good just to get out and get playing with the mount and scope.

This was all done from my tiny back yard on the edge of town. Skied are pretty dark surprisingly, but the limiting factor is the high trees at the rear of the yard, so not too much sky to view I'm afraid :( Next time it clear and lloks as if its for staying that way Ill head up to the hills outside town where the skies are pitch black and 360 degrees of view. Can't wait!

Until next time, clear skies!

I don't believe it. There's somewhere in the UK where it's not raining? :D

Nice one, sounds like you made good progress. Andromeda can be a bit elusive sometimes, ironic as it's like the biggest thing in the sky other than the Milky way.

I was totally shocked tonight
every weather forecast I seen Inc Astro sites said cloud and lots of it
at 7:30 I decided to walk to the shops, on my way back I was walking south only to look up and have Orion and Jupiter in an almost clear sky

10 minutes later the beer was in the fridge and I was out looking at Jupiter and the 4 moons

only my 3rd night of seeing anything but my best yet as I even managed to get Polaris visible in my polar scope

congrats on your first light hopefully the weather man is wrong and we get more soon

Archived