Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Dorset Dark Sky Recomendations?

laser_jock99

Would of though just about anywhere on the coast would be good. The beaches at Durdledoor at nice and dark but a little bit of a hike if your carrying heavy gear. But  as Orion is to our south at the moment it would be in lovely dark skies from the south coast.

If you head inland following the River Piddle there are only small villages so light pollution should be low. Plenty of B&B's, Pubs and cottages to rent up that way too.

You couldn't make that up, could you :-)

Stu

Would of though just about anywhere on the coast would be good. The beaches at Durdledoor at nice and dark but a little bit of a hike if your carrying heavy gear. But  as Orion is to our south at the moment it would be in lovely dark skies from the south coast.

Not sure I'd want to tackle the steps down to durdle door beach in the dark, especially by myself, they are now little more than a land slip of rocks. Does have the advantage of a camp site next to it though.

Not sure I'd want to tackle the steps down to durdle door beach in the dark, especially by myself, they are now little more than a land slip of rocks. Does have the advantage of a camp site next to it though.

Agreed the steps are plenty and very steep. However you wouldnt have to trek right down to the beach. You could just walk along the path and setup over looking durdles. The camp site is excellent, stayed there a few times.

Hmm... not near Weymouth, but I tell you where is dark in Dorset with a really nice B&B:

http://www.farnhamfarmhouse.co.uk/

Such a nice B&B - I stayed there for a couple of nights after my wedding. Cranbourne Chase is gorgeous and almost completely unknown. Plus there are few villages around there so it gets really, really dark. I remember on our way back to the B&B after the evening meal seeing a barn owl swoop across and the skies were full of stars. There are a couple of amazing pubs down the road, particularly the Museum in Farnham and the Castleman in Chettle, there's the Larmer Tree Gardens and fairly good access to Purbeck. WIn Green Hill could be an amazing place to set up, but the access road is very, very bumpy!

DD

Whilst you are there you must visit the Piddle Inn, do Little Piddle, Wire Piddle, Piddlehinton and Piddletrentide. Pehaps you will finally end up in Puddletown.

And you can also order a pint of Piddle in the pubs down here! Honest!

Hmm... not near Weymouth, but I tell you where is dark in Dorset with a really nice B&B:

http://www.farnhamfarmhouse.co.uk/

Such a nice B&B - I stayed there for a couple of nights after my wedding. Cranbourne Chase is gorgeous and almost completely unknown. Plus there are few villages around there so it gets really, really dark. I remember on our way back to the B&B after the evening meal seeing a barn owl swoop across and the skies were full of stars. There are a couple of amazing pubs down the road, particularly the Museum in Farnham and the Castleman in Chettle, there's the Larmer Tree Gardens and fairly good access to Purbeck. WIn Green Hill could be an amazing place to set up, but the access road is very, very bumpy!

DD

If you contact Cranborne Chase AONB at Cranborne I am sure they would give you some good locations. Beautiful area.

Archived