Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

total newbie needing help

Ok so I have my scope Skywatcher explorer 200p
set it up on the mount and pointed it towards Jupiter but all I'm seeing is the spider veins and the secondary as a shadow
with a lit background, if I move off target its black so i'm assuming the light is Jupiter and my collimation is out
or I'm missing something, tried using the supplied 10 & 25mm lens and the scope & lenses have been outside for over an hour so

should be acclimatised

any help appreciated

Hi Ya Oldpink and welcome to the SGL, a very nice scope you have there.  Its just a focusing issue, when you centre the target in the eyepiece, turn the focuser and the target will get smaller and bigger depending on which way you turn the focuser, keep turning, as the object in the eyepiece gets smaller and smaller, try and focus on the two dark bands that go across the centre of Jupiter, these need to be at their darkest, checking on the edge of the disk, this becomes a crisp focus against the background sky, if your focused on a star then keep turning until it becomes the smallest point of light and other stars appear in the field of view.  Hope that helps Oldpink and keep at it mate.   Paul.

Hi and welcome to SG

It sounds to me like a focusing issue as opposed to collimation, as has been suggested, somewhere in the range of focus you should find the correct distance from eyepiece to secondary mirror - I take it you just have your 1.25" eyepiece adaptor fitted, silly question I know, but it sounds as if you could be restricting the focal range somehow

Phil

Ok so I have my scope Skywatcher explorer 200p

set it up on the mount and pointed it towards Jupiter but all I'm seeing is the spider veins and the secondary as a shadow

with a lit background, if I move off target its black so i'm assuming the light is Jupiter and my collimation is out

or I'm missing something, tried using the supplied 10 & 25mm lens and the scope & lenses have been outside for over an hour so

should be acclimatised

any help appreciated

Hi there

I think perhaps 'pointing towards' probably isn't good enough. Can you see Jupiter in your finder and is your finder adjusted to the centre of the field of view of your scope? I have a 150pds and even being slightly out with the finder can make the object of interest invisible to your view through the scope. Hope that helps.

Louise

Just a thought Oldpink, is there any extension tubes that fit in the focuser before the eyepiece - if you've tried to focus all the way out and all the way in, not familiar with the scope, but seems the focus point is out of the range of the focuser, so is there an extra tube that fits in the focuser bringing the eyepiece further out from the tube, not sure if i have it correct or not, we need some more input from 200p users.   Paul.

Hi Oldpink  I had the same problem when I first had my scope and thought there was a problem with the scope.

It sounds as if you've got both the 2x1.25" adaptor and the 2" adaptor fitted at the same time. 

remove the 2" adaptor and fit the 2x1.25" directly into the focuser you should now be able to reach focus

Hi Oldpink  I had the same problem when I first had my scope and thought there was a problem with the scope.

It sounds as if you've got both the 2x1.25" adaptor and the 2" adaptor fitted at the same time. 

remove the 2" adaptor and fit the 2x1.25" directly into the focuser you should now be able to reach focus

That certainly sounds like the most likely solution.

It amazes me that when you first receive your new scope both the eyepiece adapters are fitted to the focuser and there is nothing in the instruction manual telling the newcomer how to proceed. 

thank you thank you and thank you again

the 2" adapter removed and a little bit of focus adjust and Bingo I had Jupiter right in front of me

but then the clouds rolled over, but I did see some detail in the bands before I lost viewing
will give it a while and see if it clears up again

got a window in the cloud about 11:30 and managed to get a better look
Callisto, Europa and Ganymede were all in a line  with Jupiter possibly one other moon
but as I hadn't had a chance to polar align and properly balance the scope and tracking manually with the goto I was pretty chuffed
I did try to mount my camera (ASI120MC) but without tracking it was moving too quick to swap out lenses and try to focus before it was out of the FOV
all in all for my first view through a decent scope (4" years ago) I'm over the moon which I didn't get to see tonight but that will come soon enough

Louise I'm over Hamilton way and plan some trips to Darvel and the lead hills and a few other spots I know to be good for dark skies (camping & fishing are my other hobbies)

with a few friends and my sons hopefully we get some decent weather this year and get some decent viewing

got a window in the cloud about 11:30 and managed to get a better look

Callisto, Europa and Ganymede were all in a line  with Jupiter possibly one other moon

but as I hadn't had a chance to polar align and properly balance the scope and tracking manually with the goto I was pretty chuffed

I did try to mount my camera (ASI120MC) but without tracking it was moving too quick to swap out lenses and try to focus before it was out of the FOV

all in all for my first view through a decent scope (4" years ago) I'm over the moon which I didn't get to see tonight but that will come soon enough

Louise I'm over Hamilton way and plan some trips to Darvel and the lead hills and a few other spots I know to be good for dark skies (camping & fishing are my other hobbies)

with a few friends and my sons hopefully we get some decent weather this year and get some decent viewing

Hi Oldpink

Oh well, I'm sure you'll have plenty more opportunities! Sounds like you're not a total newbie really - unlike me, who really is. Yeah, I can imagine things will move quickly through the 200p fov without tracking!

I'm not far from Glasgow city centre (Kelvinbridge) - must be light pollution capital of the world! I'm sure there are worse places really but an all-weather pitch with arc lights nearby definitely doesn't help. There's some clear skies forecast for the early hours of Sunday morning but I won't hold my breath.

All the best

Louise

I've always been interested in Astronomy from an early age as I was taken camping and fishing up north with lots of clear skies and dark surroundings
and wondered why when I was home most of the stars were missing

only years later I found out about light pollution, I have my own issues to deal with inc a technology park directly across a dual carriageway on a raised embankment cutting off 12 degree's of my horizon 

and the technology park is lit up with all sorts of lights and add the 30 odd street lamps and the express-way lights I have almost permanent daytime (though if you kick the lamppost at the bottom of my garden it goes out)
thats why I plan on going to dark sky places to do most of my observations

I'm pleased that you've got it sorted, I must admit the first time I set my scope up (and it seemed to be useless) I was pretty disappointed .

If the manuals were a bit more informative, there would probably be a lot more people happy with their purchases first time out

Just wish there was something we could all do to get rid of the cloud  :clouds1:  :clouds1:

Archived