Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

HEQ5 Question

Hi all

I was just noticing a number of posts related to altitude bolts... Inspired me to post! I just upgraded mine :smiley: . I don't have a problem with them exactly, but... I live in Glasgow which is almost 56 deg N and I find my south-facing altitude bolt has to be screwed in pretty much to the hilt. I marked on the scale where the altitude adjustment was previously and I'm in the same place as with the original bolts. However, I'm thinking  it doesn't look right and wonder how anyone would manage if they were a degree or two further north. Having said that, the mount seems to track ok visually, although I only fitted the upgrade bolts this morning so I've not had any chance to do any AP yet. I didn't do a comparison of the upgrade bolts to the length of the originals but I think they were pretty much the same. Also, my mount is level.

Any thoughts/comments? Am I being a mount hypochondriac?

Thanks

Louise

Hi,

I dont have your mount but i assume mine is similar and even at my latitude i have considered adding a metal block to improve the leaverage of the south facing bolt and i would think thats one option to use if you where further north.

Alan

I think you can get them in different lengths, very likely it just depends on who you buy them from, I have a set of 2 for one of the mounts and they are different lengths, same diameter and thread. Suspect I should have bought just 2 of the longer ones.

Slight catch is I have no idea which of the 2 mounts, HEQ5 or EQ5, they are for.

I think you can get them in different lengths, very likely it just depends on who you buy them from, I have a set of 2 for one of the mounts and they are different lengths, same diameter and thread. Suspect I should have bought just 2 of the longer ones.

Slight catch is I have no idea which of the 2 mounts, HEQ5 or EQ5, they are for.

Ok - I got the Astrodevelopments set. I didn't occur to me that different lengths might be available since they are relacements. The clutch handle fitting on the south bolt is neat.

I wonder if there's anyone here at the same or greater latitude that might have had a problem with adjusting their latitude/altitude on the HEQ5 or similar?

Louise

Hi Louise,

I am at much the same latitude as you (56 deg 03')and have the same mount and upgrade bolts... My South bolt has about 10mm of spare thread when polar aligned... so yes, it's a close call if at more than a degree or two higher latitude.

Much nicer bolts to use though.

Billy,

You should be ok where you are...(just) :tongue:

Best regards.

Sandy. :grin:

Ok - I got the Astrodevelopments set. I didn't occur to me that different lengths might be available since they are relacements. The clutch handle fitting on the south bolt is neat.

I wonder if there's anyone here at the same or greater latitude that might have had a problem with adjusting their latitude/altitude on the HEQ5 or similar?

Louise

Hi Billy

I'm a newbie - only started in November/December so am still getting a feel for things. I just upgraded from a ST-80 to the 150pds and, clear skies forecast, will hopefully try some AP early evening. You must have nice dark skies up there - I'm envious! Glasgow is awful for LP but I've been managing with a filter. I have the HEQ5 Syntrek converted to a goto with eqmod etc. Added a 9 x 50 finder guider this week - worked great with the ST-80. I've found it quite a sturdy mount though have no previous experience so nothing to compare it to. I'm learning all the time. If you do experience problems with the altitude bolt then I was thinking it might be ok/possible to raise the north-facing leg of the tripod a little. Glasgow is almost at 56 deg N so raising the leg to give you a 2 deg base angle should do it - just! I don't think that would cause any unwanted side-effects - if I'm wrong, anybody, please correct me!

Some advice - do get the upgrade bolts asap! The supplied ones bend much too easily! Also, I was a bit non-plussed when I first got it because I couldn't shift the moving part of the head at all and with no bolts in! It needs a little brute force! I had to put my weight behind it, though I must admit I'm only little! What scope do you have? Let me know how you get on.

Good luck!

Louise

I'm at 58 degrees and have an NEQ6.  I ordered the upgraded bolts at the same time as I bought the mount (Modern Astronomy - thanks Bernard!) and they work just fine,  I didn't get the old bolts so unfortunately, I can't do a length comparison for you.

I'm at 58 degrees and have an NEQ6.  I ordered the upgraded bolts at the same time as I bought the mount (Modern Astronomy - thanks Bernard!) and they work just fine,  I didn't get the old bolts so unfortunately, I can't do a length comparison for you.

Hi Islander

Must be even darker up in Orkney! I'm now wondering how accurate the latitude scale is.... I slackened the south bolt by about 5mm and the scale only reads about 52mm. The scale can't be that far out, can it? Can I ask what your latitude scale reads? I can't actually see Polaris where I am and have previously been using Astrotortilla to align on a couple of other stars and it's been ok. Will see how it goes tonight. Well, soon - it's nearly dark!

Louise

Just an epilogue - I actually followed my own advice :tongue: and raised the north tripod leg a little. There is now about 5mm of thread showing after alignment. I used Astrotortilla to polar align to within less than 1 minute for both azimuth (~45") and altitude (~29") .  Is that what others manage to do? I've no idea! Trying to get even more alignment precision seems difficult. Obviously this is done with the scope in place. Not sure how much difference there is in precision compared to polar aligning by sight without the scope on? Goto worked fine and I did some imaging (guided) - took some 30s and 60s subs and everything was good (apart from the ever-present lp :huh: ). Slowly getting to know the 150pds. First time I've imaged (Pollux) and seen diffraction spikes - yay! Got some nice images of M44 (20 x 30s subs, 20 x darks) that I've yet to process properly. Need to take some flats but a quick run-through with DSS gave an ok image. Some obvious coma but I was expecting that. I still feel insecure about the bolt though, and it's a bit of a mystery why there is a difference between mine and others with the same mount and latitude. I keep thinking I must have done something stupid... Oh well.

If anyone has any ideas or is up north and has had the same situation, I'd be interested to hear.

Louise

Hello Thalestris 24 - I am a newbie too. I stay just outside Oban and we are blessed with almost zero light pollution and a big garden with 360 degrees view of the night sky - a bit different to Glasgow !! I was shocked last time I landed at Glasgow Airport in the dark  :lipsrsealed:  :lipsrsealed:  :lipsrsealed:

I have always been fascinated by the night sky and last year bought a Heritage 130 flex tube and some decent eyepieces and I am now firmly addicted!!

At the moment I am concentrating on wide angle astrophotography but in the near future I will be getting either a HEQ5 or NEQ6 - to start with it will just be a mount for my camera to start on photographing DSO's etc but no doubt a scope will find its way onto the mount at some point.

If ever you fancy heading up this way do let me know.

Archived