NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Disappointed

First night for a week without clouds. Decided to look for newer targets. Was using the Starhopping page in the Jan issue of Sky at Night magazine. M35,M33, M36,M37 and M38, I didnt know what I was looking at. They just looked like stars. Was expecting clusters. I had trouble with the 2 controls. They keep going in the wrong direction. Something I will have to get used too.  I guess I will pick it up and find it easier with time

The one thing I did do was to find my way about a bit better. Starting to know the stars now. The sky is bigger than I thought.

One thing I wondered was can I change the focus to a more sensitive control on my Skywatcher?

What scope and eyepiece were you using? In my 3 inch M35 and 36 I partly resolved at 30x, into a sprinkling of faint stars against a fuzzy background, but M37 and 38 I didn't see as more than the faint fuzzy.

I suspect that one persons idea of navigating is different to anothers.

Looking at M35, 36, 37, 38 they are open clusters and not exactly stand out ones like M45.

From the images on Wikipedia they do not seem like much of a cluster.

M33 being the Triangulum galaxy.

There will be one inversion looking through the eyepiece (not sure which) so that needs to be learnt with the twiddly bits.

The only way to get a more sensitive focuer is unfortunately to replace it. Not sure the cost of a dual speed one.

Are you going to Astrofest in Feb, you may pick one up there.

I would argue about the sky size, many do not realise the narrowness of the view through a scope.

M35, 36, 37 and 38 are some of the loveliest clusters in the sky. In my small 100mm scope with benelux light pollution, they look like clusters... Are you sure you found them? What kind of scope and magnification were you using?

EDIT: Answer just came in ^^^^^

Try using the lowest power eyepiece (25mm and no barlow lens). These clusters are subtle but much better at low power. M33 is a pretty tough challenge even for larger scopes and experienced eyes. It's a face on galaxy and no more than a very slightly brighter irregular patch though a scope.

Stick to the lower power eyepieces while you get used to the scope.

We too are finding it hard to see anything other than Jupiter (which don't get me wrong is glorious). Tried to look at M42 and M1. Can't really make anything out other than a few stars. Hoping we haven't really 'found' them yet, although husband is certain we found M42 as we honed in on a trapezium of stars. We are using a SkyWatcher 200p Dobsonian, and are very new to all this.

Fingers crossed for us all. x

We too are finding it hard to see anything other than Jupiter (which don't get me wrong is glorious). Tried to look at M42 and M1. Can't really make anything out other than a few stars. Hoping we haven't really 'found' them yet, although husband is certain we found M42 as we honed in on a trapezium of stars. We are using a SkyWatcher 200p Dobsonian, and are very new to all this.

You won't miss M42 with an 8" scope but, as advised above, use your lowest magnification eyepiece. M42 is a very large object  - the Trapezium group of stars is right at the heart of it but it extends a long, long way out and around that little group of stars.

Jupiter and M42 I find easily every time now. I was looking for M42 and found what I thought it, so I sketched it and found my book to check it and lo and behold there it was. I think sketching will be a major part of my observing.

If you want fine control on your focuser than you can upgrade it with one of these:

http://www.365astronomy.com/dual-speed-110-microfocus-upgrade-kit-for-skywatcher-crayford-focusers-p-2484.html

It's quick and easy to fit and gives you two speeds allowing you to just "snap on" to the best focus.

But give them a call first and verify that your focuser will be the right size for it - in the pics it looks ok - but 365 will double check and tell you if it fits.

To be honest the nebula and galaxies take a bit of effort. To actually 'see' them you need to not look "at " them. Use what is termed as averted vision...so look around the outside of the object not right at it, and it should 'pop' out as a brighter cloud. It is unlikely you will see any other colour than bluish grey clouds. I know I keep plugging this, but Qualia's post on what you can expect to see is a must read for beginners IMO. its located here

You will get the hang of this hobby trust me....just takes patience.

Good luck

As others have said, M42 is unmistakable... However, I took a look at it last night through my 250 and with a bright moon and a bit of light pollution, the only nebulosity was directly around the trapezium. Under dark skies with said scope, it fills a 25mm eyepiece. Under dark skies it should look like this (as in big and bright, not badly drawn):

M30award002.jpg

Archived