Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Mounting My PST

David Smith

I want to be able to mount my PST on my Celestron CG4 mount so that I can do white light and Ha on the same mount. I have a skywatcher dovetail and notice the mounting bolts for my old short dovetail fit perfectly in the pre-drilled holes but are not long enough to reach to PST thread.

post-16479-0-30240600-1390158810_thumb.p

These are stated as 0.25" whitworth fasteners but my search of various websites has failed to find such an item. Does anyone know if I can just by a longer bolt that will capture the PST thread through the dovetail and if so what are they called.

Appreciate your help

Thanks

Camera tripod fixings always used to be either 1/4" or 3/8" BSW. The equivalent UNC has the same pitch but the included thread angle of the UNC is 60 degrees and that of BSW 55 degrees. The UNC screws as a result can sometimes be a little tight when used in a BSW fitting.   :smiley:  

Camera tripod fixings always used to be either 1/4" or 3/8" BSW. The equivalent UNC has the same pitch but the included thread angle of the UNC is 60 degrees and that of BSW 55 degrees. The UNC screws as a result can sometimes be a little tight when used in a BSW fitting.   :smiley:  

Aha!  There appears to be chapter and verse here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tripod_(photography)#Screw_thread

James

Just for the record (in case anyone looks at this thread later) I recieved

one of 0.25" x 7/8" UNC Hex cap bolt

one of 0.25" x 1" Hex cap bolt

this morning. Both fit the PST and screw into the pre-drilled holes in my Skywatcher long dovetail. I have yet to try actually attaching the two together as I am short of time this morning but both look long enough to do the trick.

Thanks again for your input :smiley:

Archived