Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Jupiter looking very fine right now !

John

I've got some thin hazy cloud here but Jupiter is looking absolutely superb right now despite (or maybe because of ?) this. The Great Red Spot is making it's way across the disk surrounded by dark and pale eddies and swirls and there are some nice festoons arcing into the EQ zone from the NEB for good measure. Hope the cloud does not thicken up :smiley:  

clouded out here unfortunately but enjoy!

The cloud has just thickened a little more here now so it's starting to hinder rather than help. Rather frustrating as the GRS is on the central meridian and the tones and contrast on the planet are some of the best I've ever seen. I'm even fancying I can see some contrast variations on Ganymede's disk ! - probably not, but it's that good when the cloud thins that you think you might be in with a chance ! 

Darn cloud - I can hardly see Jupiter or the Moon though it now and there is more to come by the look of it  :sad:

Still I had 45 mins there where everything was spot on - you realise why you spend the money and stand around in the cold air when it's like that  :grin:

Darn cloud - I can hardly see Jupiter or the Moon though it now and there is more to come by the look of it  :sad:

Still I had 45 mins there where everything was spot on - you realise why you spend the money and stand around in the cold air when it's like that  :grin:

short sessions like this are often the best!

I was just playing around with my DSLR (first time trying my hand at imaging!) and thought I would take a couple shots of jupiter to see if I could capture the moons. Too my surprise, I seem to have caught a nice green nebula in the shot. What nebula is this? It's not appearing in my planetarium software annoyingly.

qd4z.jpg

short sessions like this are often the best!

Yep - we have to take what we can get in the UK  :rolleyes2:

By the way Shane, it's more or less the 1st anniversary of my OO / Moonshane dob being up and running. The scope and mount are performing exactly as thy did from day one and the mount both works and looks just the way you made it. You did a great job mate  :icon_salut:  :icon_salut:  :icon_salut:  :smiley:

I was just playing around with my DSLR (first time trying my hand at imaging!) and thought I would take a couple shots of jupiter to see if I could capture the moons. Too my surprise, I seem to have caught a nice green nebula in the shot. What nebula is this? It's not appearing in my planetarium software annoyingly.

No nebula would appear that bright. It's lens flare I reckon. 

wow, how time flies! glad it's still going strong. should last forever really if looked after (which I am sure it will be).

I made one for myself after the one I did for you and same applies. in fact my 12" is used much more than any of my other scopes.

We had some thin hazy conditions so I devoted an hour to Jupiter before the cloud really rolled in. Have to say this was one of the most fruitful sessions I've had with the planet and in the beginning the seeing wasn't too bad, though it was up and down the whole time. Originally I was after the GRS and watched the occultation of Europa, but noticed a dark stain just on the south edge of the NEB and later understood this to a Barge (always wondered why forum posters were talking about "Barges!"). Forgive the crude sketch and the Barge wasn't as dark as I've shown here:post-26205-0-59090900-1390043964_thumb.j

Those big wave shapes leaping into the EZ from the NEB are festoons. :)

I agree though it is cool when you start seeing more and more detail on Jupiter. 

I missed that clear patch of weather last night but its looking like we may get some better skies next week.

Lots of really good info on Jupiter here.

Oddly on the night you posted I had very similar conditions with very thin haze and Jupiter did indeed look stunning. I feel the haze acts as a ND filter and can help the view, we had the same earlier on tonight but it has cleared now, no prizes for guessing what I am after again tonight.

Alan.

Oddly on the night you posted I had very similar conditions with very thin haze and Jupiter did indeed look stunning. I feel the haze acts as a ND filter and can help the view, we had the same earlier on tonight but it has cleared now, no prizes for guessing what I am after again tonight.

Alan.

I feel the hazy thin cloud helps as well Alan. Clear here at the moment as well so some more Jovian viewing in store hopefully. Don't get bitten by the Dog Star Alan !  :wink:

Archived