Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

are these Jovian moons?

Last night I used 8X42 binocs to observe Jupiter and there appeared three white objects SSW of the planet, and one that appeared in perfect alignment with those three, on the opposite side, or NNE. Realizing my explanation may leave something to be desired, I made this illustration. I was a bit skeptical that these were the four moons, because they were in such perfect alignment and spacing, even better than I've illustrated here. As though it could have been refractions. But I'm not sure about this point. Is it possible to see the four moons with this type optics?post-32305-0-54802700-1389983905.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Nice picture!  Exactly what I see in my 20x60 binoculars. Jupiter is always the first object I look at when starting observing. I like to see how the moons positions changed and then look at The Starry Night to see which moon is which.

Archived