Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

New setup..

Bresser Messier EXOS 2 / EQ 5 mount

Bresser AR127s/635 Scope

DSC_0001_zpsd15dd3a5.jpg

Just a few questions ??

The mount did not ship with the automated tracking...Can anyone steer me in the direction of which will fit and where i can buy on from.....

Secondly ....What is this dial for ??????

DSC_0002_zps663dfd58.jpg

Thirdly.....What does this screw do ?

DSC_0003_zpsbba0fa16.jpg

Most of the other stuff i have worked out..but i cannot find a detailed user manual for this kit...It will be used for Astrophotography...

Thanks a lot in advance..Paul

The dial is to help you properly line up the polar scope. Line it up with the degrees in the sky and will help make sure the when you look down the polar scope you can get as accurate an alignment as possible. Well will help anyways.

I believe that screw is to help tighten the focuser draw tube. So if you have a heavy eye piece and you look at the zenith your focuser wont slip out of focus.

I'm pretty sure you can download a manual from the SW website. Have a google search and im sure you'll find something.

You can buy motor kits for the EQ5. http://www.firstlightoptics.com/skywatcher-mounts/synscan-pro-goto-version-3-upgrade-kit-for-eq5.html

edit: I think the motor kit should work if its a EQ5 clone. But since its not an actual SW brand name someone will need the help me confirm/deny this to be sure before you buy it.

I'd be careful about getting the EQ5 drive set before making absolutely sure it will work with the Bresser EQ mount. Telescope House sell the GOTO version of your mount so would be the best people to advise on what motors will actually work with your version of the EXOS mount:

http://www.telescopehouse.com/acatalog/Bresser-Messier-Exos-2-Goto-Mount.html

If the EQ5 set will work then thats great, but do check carefully first.

HI,

Polar scopes are slightly different from FINDER scopes. Their sole purpose is to ensure the EQ mount is aligned to the pole star (or in reality  the North Celestial Pole (NCP)). This will mean that you your mount will now align with the rotation of the earth around the NCP allowing for longer exposures to be taken for AP (or at least thats my understanding). I do not undertake imaging as yet. have a look at wikipedia here about Polar alignment with this scope. there will also be numerous threads about it on this site.

A finder scope sits on top of your main scope (in your first picture), and is used to find objects (as its name suggests). It has a wider field of view (FoV) thereby allowing you to see larger swathes of the sky. You align your finder scope to the main scope during daylight usually. There are a lot of threads on aligning the finder if you search for it if you have not undertaken this procedure. if not just ping any of us a message and we will see you right.

Must say thats a beast of a scope, and wish you luck with it.

Regards

Hi,

It looks like a very nice set up for observing atleast, imaging is another matter. Those dials are setting circles. Once you have made sure that your polar scope is centred in its housing and your mount is polar aligned then you can set the circles by looking up the times for the Transit Of Polaris for your location, once set accurately then you can use these to find the stars  and DSOs by looking up their coordinates , you have another set of scales on your DEC axis in Degrees BTW,   and then do a sort of star hopping, these were used in the good old times before GOTOs and computer tracking and so on but are mostly redundant now except on Manual mounts, if you google for them they make a good read though. Enjoy your new toy.

Regards,

A.G

PS: you can get SW illuminated finders from the usual suspects, I think 365 Astronomy have some in stock.

Archived