advice on mounts for an auto guided setup

Hello Everyone,

I've been reading (far too) many articles on the ideal setup for astro photography and am pretty confused by all the options ;-(

Basically I'm looking to start out with a decent mount which will probably be a HEQ5 or if the money will stretch, an EQ6 plus a scope in the range of an 80ED or similar.    Ultimately I would like to go for a fully pc controlled auto guiding setup as I'd like to install the mount/scope some distance from the house to avoid all the trees.    I'd appreciate your feedback and advice on what mount/options I really need here i.e. I don't expect I'll ever use a hand controller as I will use computer control.

Regards

Dave

Hello Everyone,

I've been reading (far too) many articles on the ideal setup for astro photography and am pretty confused by all the options ;-(

Basically I'm looking to start out with a decent mount which will probably be a HEQ5 or if the money will stretch, an EQ6 plus a scope in the range of an 80ED or similar.    Ultimately I would like to go for a fully pc controlled auto guiding setup as I'd like to install the mount/scope some distance from the house to avoid all the trees.    I'd appreciate your feedback and advice on what mount/options I really need here i.e. I don't expect I'll ever use a hand controller as I will use computer control.

Regards

Dave

Either of the mounts you mentioned are capable of being controlled by a PC using the Ascom platform ( free download  ) and EQMOD software ( free download ) , in stand alone or in conjunction with a planetarium software such as CdC. Connection can be made to the PC or laptop and then to the mount using an EQDIR USB cable or connecting the SynScan handset to the laptop and setting the handset mode to PC control. If you have not done any imaging before I strongly advise you to do a lot more reading up. AP in any shape or form is not at all easy and it has a very steep learning curve, there is a lot to it and it is not a plug and play type of hobby. Hope you didn't mind the advice.

Regards,

A.G

If you are going to use a PC for controlling then you just need the mount without the hand controller, the Syntrek version (http://www.firstlightoptics.com/skywatcher-mounts/skywatcher-heq5-syntrek.html) - Then you will need an EQDIR cable that plugs into the mount and direct into your PC (or hub) USB (http://www.firstlightoptics.com/astronomy-cables-leads-accessories/hitecastro-eqdir-adapter.html)

On your PC you will need to have ASCOM and EQMOD (http://eq-mod.sourceforge.net/reqindex.html) downloaded and also a separate guide scope. There's an article here http://www.firstlightoptics.com/blog/eqmod-controlling-the-heq5-neq6-and-other-mounts-directly-from-a-pc.html

Hope that helps.

Hi Dave

I second all that Sara and AG have said...especially about going for the Syntrek version with EQMOD rather than the Synscan - if you're serious about getting onto AP slippery slope, I'd go for a Synscan NEQ6

I don't live far from you, so if you fancy a chat about it all please PM me.

Cheers

Steve

Must admit I control from a PC yes I find the hand controller very useful still, but I suppose it's not essential. The goto is really great and if I always had to use stellarium to tell the mount where to go I think that would be a limitation that I wouldn't like. The price difference isn't that big, although I suppose if you really don't want the synscan goto features then no point paying for it! In any case HEQ5 get's thumbs up from me.

Hi

I'd agree with all the comments above.

You can get swamped with all the info about imaging on here.

The one thing that I have found constant is the advice Olly mentioned.

"Small frac, solid mount"

I'll admit I've probably spent/wasted money getting to the position I'm at.

My imaging setup is now NEQ6Pro, Williams Optic Megrez 72 and a modified EOS 1100D

I guide with a 9x50 finder with a QHY5 camera and use PHD.

I collect my images using Backyard EOS.

If you look at the above it probably contains the most recommended "parts" to astro imaging.

It's not to say there are not other ways to do it (and my subject matter is deep sky rather than planetary) but the above just works.

If you can keep it simple, you'll ultimately reduce the frustration level associated with this part of astronomy.

Of course your budget is always a factor, but sometimes paying once is better than having to sell on secondhand to upgrade to where you really should have been?

So my advice, get that solid mount and keep the focal length short.....you'll get great results.

Regards

Neil

Archived