Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

SPC900

kaybee

Hi A.G.

I guess if I was tempted into imaging at some stage that's the way I'd go.  In all honesty, I'd probably buy something cheaply (like a lifecam), accept it's limitations, see how much I liked imaging and then invest in a dedicated astro-imaging camera if I was taken with the concept.  I suppose the key to that approach is accepting limitations early on and accordingly not being disheartened with the results, especially with the amount of post-processing to learn.

To date the equpiment I have, and have recently invested in, is geared purely towards visual.

~Keith

Hi Keith,

This is a very sensible way of going about it, regretably with AP there are no short cuts.

Regards,

A.G

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd certainly be picking a direction (DS or planetary - I understand the two have different requirements) and starting from scratch should I decide on AP with a 'scope at some stage.  For the last 12/18 months I have been observing with binoculars and have just invested in a widefield visual grab 'n go setup of EQ2 and ST102 (that arrives tomorrow! :grin: ). 

I've played with lunar photography using my DSLR and 500mm lens on a tripod, stacking the results with registax and playing with wavelets.  I have some results I'm pleased with and I'm sure there's more I could achieve with better sky conditions and some more refined camera setup.  When I'm home later I'll post my latest efforts.

~Keith

I personally think the SPC or similar webcam is the way to start off.

What you are prepared to pay for such an item is dependent of the old bank account.

There are a lot of other factors to consider – the amount of time a person can get at the scope, the weather and how dedicated you are.

Take small steps and if it’s the hobby for you then upgrade – after all there is always someone willing to pay silly money for your old kit. :smiley: 

What you are prepared to pay for such an item is dependent of the old bank account.

There are a lot of other factors to consider – the amount of time a person can get at the scope, the weather and how dedicated you are.

Take small steps and if it’s the hobby for you then upgrade – after all there is always someone willing to pay silly money for your old kit. :smiley:

Exactly!  That's the way I have been going.

Couldn't agree more! And if it's not for you it's still great for the occasional quick snap to share with friends :)

post-26939-13900558249_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

It's worth noting that there are other old Philips webcams in the same 'range' that also use exacty the same CCD chip as the SPC900  - e.g. the PCVC840K which can produce similar results.  I got mine for £25 (including asto 1.25" nosepiece), and they can also be upgraded to the same SPC900 firmware pretty easily.... 

processed2.jpg

Jupiter_2013-03-04_Processed.jpg 

Cheers,

Mike

Archived