Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

delta extreme ed15x70 or helios apollo 15x70

inspectapart

Been away for awhile so I don`t know if this question has been asked before. Anyone know if there is much difference between the delta extreme 15x70 with ed glass and the helios apollo 15x70 which get very good reviews. And are the delta extreme worth the extra cost for the ed glass?

Bob

They look nearly identical, I must say. Both have the typical shape of the BA-8 15x70, and maybe there are ED variants. Having said that, the WO 10x50 ED is considered identical to the APM Marine HD 10x50, which has a big brother in the form of the APM Marine HD 15x70, which is considered to be identical to the Helios Apollo 15x70 HD. All sport the distinctive BA-8 series livery, but not all mention ED glass.

I was under the impression that they were the same - just that Helios just chose not to crow about the ED glass. The WOs 10x50s that I have are marketed as "ED" but, as good as they are, I would be surprised if they were optically superior to the Apollos - especially considering the impressive CN reviews of them.

Fella posts on here named Markinaboat has some Delta Extreme ED's glass 15x70's might be worth Personal Messaging him to garner his views.

I LOVE my Helios 8x42 ED glass Nirvana's - sharper and pinpoint-ier stars than my Apollo 15x70's....

Good luck

My ears were burning! :-)

Yes, I had the Delta Extreme 15x70ED. I never did get the opportunity to compare them to any other variants but all I can say was that they were superb. I sold them very recently having got my first scope. Bought a pair of Celestron Granite 12x50ED's (still for sale) but prefer the weight and width of the 10x50ED's.

I once email Delta and United Optics but didn't get a reply. Maybe worth a go though to find out if it's only the Delta's that have an ED element in?

The other consideration is that Delta's come with 5 yr warranties.

HTH

My ears were burning! :-)

Yes, I had the Delta Extreme 15x70ED. I never did get the opportunity to compare them to any other variants but all I can say was that they were superb. I sold them very recently having got my first scope. Bought a pair of Celestron Granite 12x50ED's (still for sale) but prefer the weight and width of the 10x50ED's.

I once email Delta and United Optics but didn't get a reply. Maybe worth a go though to find out if it's only the Delta's that have an ED element in?

The other consideration is that Delta's come with 5 yr warranties.

HTH

and you can always ask Zoltan for a deal!

Bob contacted us earlier today. I wasn't aware he had a thread running here but if it helps our response was:

The glass in the Helios Apollo are clearly high quality but we don't know the specification or type so are unable to say if they are ED. It doesn't help that there is no industry standard for 'ED'. It is a subjective term. 

Consider a £275 Helios Apollo 15x70 binocular is essentially two short-tube refractors with image-erecting-prism and an eyepiece. Each effectively costing £137.50. At that price they will not be apochromatic. 
HTH. 
Steve
PS: The Helios Apollo 15x70 is currently sold out in the UK, the next delivery is expected around Feb-March. That might influence your decision :smiley:

Archived