Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Short Report

John

The seeing here is fabulous at the moment. Best I've had for months  :grin:

The craterlets on the floor of Plato are as well defined as I've ever seen with the "big 4" being easy and two of the "little 4" also picked up. I'm on the hunt for more now :smiley:

400x plus seems entirely usable on the Moon tonight with my 12" dob. 

Thats it !!! - I'm off out again  :grin:

In for another quick warm up.

I've spotted 9 Plato craterlets tonight with the smallest having a diameter of just under 1 mile. Thats my best tally ever :smiley:

The Alpine Valleys central rille is visible too when the seeing really settles, despite the valley being almost fully illuminated.

The 4mm Radian (398x) is doing simply brilliantly on the moon with the 12" dob tonight  :smiley:

This is probably the best I've seen since I got the scope. The moon is very bright tonight, rather than fight it I've been spending some time just exploring all the detail. Jupiter is looking rather steady too, if only the GRS was out I might have a chance of spotting it. I've only just come back inside to check I wasn't seeing things whilst looking at Sigma Orionis, I wasn't, it really was a very faint looking 4th star.

I'm off back out as soon as I've had another drink of my beer :grin:

It was a little hard to spot yes, but after going to take another look it was unmistakable with the Heritage 130p and 5mm BST. I didn't realise it was 10th magnitude!

I must say I didn't consider myself a double star person but thought I would try some since the moon is so bright and I've had some really nice views. Castor especially looks really good.

I can only go up to x130 but even there the moon looks fantastic, I can't even imagine what it looks like at x398 in a 12" dob. I really need to start saving up for a 10" myself :grin:

Looks very nice here at the moment, too.  Just come in for a quick warm-up.

Just been looking at the Moon myself and was thinking that the image seemed very stable.  Interestingly there's hardly any dew.  That seems to have made a huge difference.

James

With the moon high and bright deep sky objects are a bit of a wash out really so it's double stars, the moon itself and Jupiter for me tonight. We are forecast clouds from midnight so I'm going to have to make the most of it in case that comes about. You will get them 1st I guess James  :p

Its still clear here so you've both got a while yet, theres the odd bit of patchy cloud going past but nothing to stop you.

Bit of a funny night for me, I've got Plymouth directly to the east of me so Jupiter was wobbling nicely until it got above 40˚ and after that it was nothing really special although I was using x220ish with the BV's and it was probably AIII.

However just before I packed up I did take a quick look at the moon and I was surprised how steady it was, I threw everything I had at it with the BV's (which was only x280ish) and it was very steady, easily AII.

Hope you all enjoy the rest of the night, I have things to do in the morning so not a late one for me. :)

I've got the 127 Mak on Jupiter at the moment, with a 2.5x barlow and I'm imaging with my ASI120MC.  Even at 4.5m focal length Jupiter is looking very steady.  I shan't be stopping until the cloud is too filthy to carry on :)

James

I've got the 127 Mak on Jupiter at the moment, with a 2.5x barlow and I'm imaging with my ASI120MC.  Even at 4.5m focal length Jupiter is looking very steady.  I shan't be stopping until the cloud is too filthy to carry on :)

James

Do you see that big band of cloud coming from the Atlantic on Sat24 though James? I think thats coming over with the jet stream because low level cloud here is moving SE.

Seeing here is shocking! Jupiter at anything over about 100x is pretty much useless.

I've had plenty of those days recently David intact they've seemed endless but I guess thats just part of the game. :)

Despite the excellent views of the Moon I was having earlier, Jupiter, though high in the sky now, seems a little less crisp and contrasty than I've seen it. I wonder if a high level layer of ice crystals has moved over this part of the country ?.

It's a cold one as well - frost just starting to form on the scope tube. Still, our USA colleagues have had -40 or more so this is nothing to moan about ! 

Thats exactly how I found it John, strange though because you'd think seeing conditions would effect all things equally but obviously not.  :undecided:

I also enjoy reading peoples updates as they are observing, it always amazes me just how much seeing conditions vary.

Do you see that big band of cloud coming from the Atlantic on Sat24 though James? I think thats coming over with the jet stream because low level cloud here is moving SE.

I missed that.  I shall just have to keep going until it gets here :)

James

Despite the excellent views of the Moon I was having earlier, Jupiter, though high in the sky now, seems a little less crisp and contrasty than I've seen it. I wonder if a high level layer of ice crystals has moved over this part of the country ?.

It's a cold one as well - frost just starting to form on the scope tube. Still, our USA colleagues have had -40 or more so this is nothing to moan about ! 

Certainly is cold, though I've had no dew at all.  I've had the heaters on the scope, but everything is bone dry at the moment.  Just had to come in for a drink and another layer...

James

Just called it a night.  About half an hour ago or so a high haze drifted in from the west and the temperature dropped like a stone.  Whilst I was packing up lower cloud began to drift in from the south too, so I think I've pushed it as far as I can.

James

Just called it a night.  About half an hour ago or so a high haze drifted in from the west and the temperature dropped like a stone.  Whilst I was packing up lower cloud began to drift in from the south too, so I think I've pushed it as far as I can.

James

I packed in about 30 mins ago too. It was still clear here but I was starting to feel the cold and it seemed a pity to spoil a good night by overdoing things. Warming up with a little wine and cheese now  :grin:

It was Cotswold AS monthly meeting for me tonight. We had a good talk about active and adaptive optics and then 3 hours in the carpark with a half dozen scopes and 20 - 25 people. Really good evening with pretty good seeing. The moon and Jupiter featured heavily but we also had a look at Uranus and few clusters. Even with the moon in the sky we could see (detect) M51 with the 70mm Pronto :eek: A very fine light mist freezing on the scopes put an end to the fun about 12.30. Toast and coffee then off to bed for me.

Archived