Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

help! dropped telescope

Hi all,

Just went to do a spot of stargazing and was bringing everything back in when the telescope toppled over onto a wooden floor :-( 

Somehow lucky the mirrors seem to be intact though they need collimating again.

However the tripod is absolutely smashed to bits. Been looking around and cant find a tripod that doesnt come with a eq3 mount.

I have a skywatcher 150p. Does anyone know where I could get a tripod only that will fit my mount??

Bad times

Not sure where you have looked but maybe you can try SkyWatcher website or similar distributors. Could also call any local shops to see if they have any. I see tripod pop up on second hand sites all the time. You could take this time to upgrade to a better more sturdy tripod too.

Tripods come up second hand occasionally because some people who are putting mounts in an observatory don't want them, so it may be worth a browse of the Astro Buy & Sell site.  It may well also be worth dropping FLO an email to see if they have any.

An alternative might be to make yourself a pier.

What's the damage to the tripod?

James

Try Telescope Outlet, I think it was them who had a selection of tripods and mounts at one of the Astro shows last year - sort of 80% sure it was them. They therefore may have some more built up now and could have one suitable.

http://telescopeoutlet.co.uk/

Other option (I have not checked) is ring Alan at Sky's the Limit. He may sell tripods without heads.

After that a wanted ad on Astro Buy and Sell UK: ABSUK

Equally maybe someone with a spare here may read and have one.

Sorry guys but a bit of a newbie question. The tripod in the link has a mount attached to it in the picture hasn't it? and if i purchased it, it wouldn't come with that mount attached would it?

You can also get them from FLO (about £100), just email them :).

The HEQ-5 / EQ-5 tripod is also steel-legged, so definitely wouldn't smash on the ground should the worst happen (again) ;).

Archived