NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Sunspot white light 9 January 2014

Helen

This was a quick grab between clouds and trees.  I can't post the full disk because the branches got in the way!  but I thought I'd post up the sunspot group anyway.  Skyris 274 mono on Megrez 72 with a lunt herschel wedge and a polariser filter.   I meant to use the Baader continuum filter which had provided nice visual views (once I got used to psychedelic green!) but I forgot to take it off the bottom of the eyepiece.  That meant the first exposure was too bright even for the shortest exposure.  The polariser brought the brightness down, but the faffing around lost me valuable time :sad: 

Hope the weather's good on Saturday as I'm now doing a solar demonstration outside the National Museum in Cardiff as part of their Stargazing Live event.

post-374-0-89050300-1389297153.jpg

Helen

Thanks :smile:  No problems at all with back focus, focus point is mid range on the Megrez 72.

Helen

Thanks for the reply, sorry but I miss-read your post I have been trying to use my WO71/lunt wedge with a DSLR (1100D) back focus is a problem any thoughts please

I don't have that scope and I use a webcam, but are you are using the 2 inch or 1.25 inch Lunt wedge?

e.g. I can get focus with my webcam with the 1.25 inch Lunt, but I can't get focus with my 2 inch Baader (unless that is I use additional adapters they do to shorten the light path).

We did nearly 200 solar viewings today over 4+ hours  :grin:   Ha and white light (although it was actually bright green because of the filter!)  Lots of wows from children and adults (and one of my lecturers got particularly excited and came out a few times for just another look  :smiley: ).  In the end we did all visual, which I think was the right decision as people were really inspired by the thought that they had actually seen the Sun with their own eyes.  It stayed clear all day (am I allowed to say I would have liked a few cloudy patches to have got a break and some refreshment  :rolleyes: ).  I'm going to be doing the safety briefing in my sleep tonight!!

Helen

Excellent Helen, sounds really good, glad it went well for you. Stargazing live generates lots of interest and one of the best objects is our own star, so much easier to demonstrate as it is there through the day, with the added benefit that it is putting on such a good show at the moment.

I put on a viewing at our village show last year (Ha and White light) but used cameras and two screens to show the images, it was easier to point at the screen to show everyone what they were seeing and more folk can see the sights at once.

Robin

Thanks Robin :-)

The screens would have had the advantages of knowing it was in focus, avoiding viewers using the telescope to steady themselves and so moving the scope, and fingers on eyepieces!!! If I have a few more helpers I might try both next time.....

Helen

Archived