NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Celestron 15x70 Skymaster- price

vvsloan

Hi everyone,

I'm looking to buy this pair of binoculars and the cheapest place I've seen is Amazon at £59. Looking at some vids and discussions on youtube, it seems they're getting them accross in America at half the price. Does anyone know of a cheaper retailer this side of the pond?  

I really cant stretch over £50 (tho would get the amazon ones if I really, really have to). I shouldnt be buying these at all really! I'll need to find some stuff to sell before I click the 'add to basket' button..

Many thanks in advance,

Victoria.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

£59.00 is a very good price for what you are getting , it's a great binocular.

I have one myself and am very pleased with it , I would suggest you buy from a reputable dealer like WEX Photographic or FLO rather than some unknown on Amazon , there have been a few reports of the binocular not being in collimation on arrival , and having somewhere of good repute to deal with just in case would save a lot of grief ... 

£59.00 is a very good price for what you are getting , it's a great binocular.

I have one myself and am very pleased with it , I would suggest you buy from a reputable dealer like WEX Photographic or FLO rather than some unknown on Amazon , there have been a few reports of the binocular not being in collimation on arrival , and having somewhere of good repute to deal with just in case would save a lot of grief ... 

Thanks for the reply Steve,

I know I should buy from a reputable dealer and not Amazon, but the next cheapest option is WEX photographic at £75 without delivery. Amazon does £59 all in.  And I know many a person from 1st hand experience would tell me go cheap and I'll almost certainly pay the price later or in some other way but I really cant afford to go above Amazons price and if I cant find a reputable dealer for about £60 then I'll just have to risk it. 

I've only just bought a 200p Dob (for my mum actually although I'm definitely more into it than her and behave as if its my own :) Apart from it lives at her house and I only get to use it when I visit which is really, really frustrating me ) and its broke me. Only I am having to go Zambia for a month to take my kids to visit their father in a few weeks and I just cant waste the cloudless black skies we are going to find there! Especially given I barely get to use my, I mean my mothers brilliant new scope. I must take some decent bins with me!

£ 59.00 at WEX , it's the 25x70's that are £75.00 ......   :rolleyes:  ......  http://www.wexphotographic.com/observational-binoculars/b3008 ... 

That's where I get all my photographic equipment from , highly recommend them ...  :laugh:

Oh wow, I'm an idiot, how did I miss that?

Thanks for that, I could kiss you!

They're awaiting stock atm but I've just rang them and they said it'd be about 10 working days, so great. Gives me a couple more weeks to not eat and try and raise the funds.

Thanks again!

I reckon they are all Kunming United Optics BA1 series so would go for the most competitively priced....

http://www.united-optics.com/Products/Binoculars/Giant_Binoculars/Giant_Binoculars.html

yeah, just had a chat with the super helpful chap at 'The Binocular Sky' and he reckoned the Rev Astro ones were slightly better (he used to offer them for sale on his site) as the ''Skymaster internals that make them more difficult to adjust, if necessary (e.g. the right eyepiece dioptre setting). Also, the Skymasters are over-represented in "How can I fix this problem?" - type threads on astronomy forums. The Skymasters vary like mad, but some of them give a slightly yellow cast, that I don't like, to the image.''

So yeah, just ordered the Rev Astro ones for 49.99!

Many thanks Damo for the heads up, and thanks to everyone for all your help, links and advice. Its really, really appreciated. You people on this site continue to be awesome and indispensable!

Victoria.

I picked up a pair on sale in Canada for $50 before Christmas; they are normally $150 here.

Rick

That is a bargain if ever I've heard one, lucky you! (They're really cheap in the USA I've noticed. I've also noticed that almost everything is cheaper in the USA. It's really annoying, I'd love to know why we pay up to 50% more for *everything* over here, not just stuff astro related...)

I don't know how they can produce them and sell them at that price, amazing bang for buck!

They can obviously be produced (with a good profit margin) for a much cheaper price than general standard prices leads us to believe. I've seen a few Americans comment here and there that they're getting the Celestrons out there for $60 odd dollars. Still, I totally love my new bins, and their comparative price!

They keep the price down by letting users do the quality control. If you get a good pair, it is a deal. If you get a dud pair (I got one once), return it and get a new one (this is why you need a reputable dealer). I had an Omegon branded pair for years, which showed me so many goodies all over the world. They travel easily, so I could take them to South Africa and Australia. The Magellanic Clouds are just stunning. These BA1s bagged me something like 40 Messiers. I have since replaced them by better ones, but that was really because I like this type of instrument so much, it paid to invest in a better pair. The kids now use the cheaper BA-1s I have (TS-branded). My eldest did an absolute war-dance when he spotted Comet PANSTARRS with it first of us last year.

Enjoy the new bins!

Archived