Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Self built Telescope

I work in Engineering, and I am interested in building my own Telescope. Does anybody have any information about this. I could probably get mirrors and things from the web somewhere. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Gary

it's an extremely rewarding aspect of the hobby but unless building a scope in excess of 12" you are unlikely to save money over a bought item. see the DIY astronomer sub forum, there's lots of threads in there. the stellafane website is great too.

I considered doing this myself some time ago, but by the time I had priced it all up, I found that I couldn't really make significant savings over an off-the shelf Dobsonian reflector. If you do go for it then good luck, quite a few other have done, and you will find lots of threads on SGL to give you guidance.

Phil

This is where you probably want to start for building your own dob (or any newt, really):

http://stellafane.org/tm/index.html

There's a very interesting and useful book called "The Dobsonian Telescope" by Kriege and Berry, but it has a fairly heavy bias towards monster-size dobs.  SCS Astro sometimes have it in stock, as do Green Witch

James

Archived