NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Canon 60Da

Keanz..oOo..

Thanks guys! When I checked on here and came across that same link and thought this isn't good and you both posted the link doh!

Any way thanks for your input and looking for something else instead. Which shoots the best between 1000D or 450D.

My 60Da died while connected to BYE, not BYEs fault and non the wiser why it died.

Was under warranty so it's back and working but reluctant to tether it again.

Works fine with a programmable remote.

I would take a look at CheapAstrophotography on the net, Juan has various modded cams.

Hi ,

I thought I'd use your post as I would doubt very much whether many people would be prepared to fork out for the overpriced 60Da and then run it it with a cheap chinese intervalometer ...  :rolleyes:

If one is making that sort of investment in kit then you'd be expecting to use BYEOS or APT to tether it .

It must grate not being able to trust expensive toys.

Would I recommend a 60Da to anyone?

If I knew what caused the problem, may be!

In hindsight I would most likely go and buy a modded 600D from Juan if I was buying now.

It is rather annoying as I had just paid for BYE and apart from tethering my unmodded 600D it's wasted.

BTW

I had already bought the 60Da before I spotted the problems about it on the net, never mind, C'est la Vie!

Now that I've had the main circuit board replaced I'm very happy with the 60Da.

The problem is/was that Canon had a batch of bad main circuits boards for the 60D which happened to co-inside with the 60Da production run. These circuit boards would fail after a short time run tethered by USB.

I believe that Canon have actually recalled the cameras from the dealers now, but not every dealer knew or complied with this recall. The cameras being sold now may be refactored ones or not, it's hard to tell. Still, the turn around time for repair is about a week and it depends upon your dealer how much hassle this is.

Anyway, here's a test shot I made last night using my 60Da with a Baader UHC-S/L-Booster filter through my 80mm Meade APO refracter:

Orion Test2 Small

Mine was the main board.

I suppose I ought to be brave and connect it to laptop again, still got 6months on warranty,

My dealer is WEX.......no problem with them, after a few techie emails it was pickup by FEDEX

and was back very quickly.

Full marks to WEX on customer service.

Mine was the main board.

I suppose I ought to be brave and connect it to laptop again, still got 6months on warranty,

My dealer is WEX.......no problem with them, after a few techie emails it was pickup by FEDEX

and was back very quickly.

Full marks to WEX on customer service.

Since the repair I've had it tethered a great deal. It's not a problem with the correctly made main circuit board fitted.

Hi Stephen, can you post or PM  the serial no of your 60da so I can get an idea if mine is in the "bad batch" Ive run it tethered by USB using the Canon software utility for a few hours with no problem so far ,touch wood.

Pity Canon don't do a recall like car manufacturers. 

Dave

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Nico,

I've had my 60da for nearly a year and not had any problems with it , touch wood, hope it doesn't die a week after the warranty expires :)

The problem is something to do with the USB tethering and I've left mine tethered and running for several hours without any issues.

There appears to have been a batch of faulty boards so if you buy one now it should be OK  unless it's been in stock fo over a year.

Presumably Canon know the camera numbers but haven't published them, I don't know if they even acknowledge there is a problem and are prepared to do repairs even if the warranty has expired.

Dave

Archived