SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Killed my Canon 60Da

wxsatuser

I know this has been reported before but my 60Da lasted 110 shots.

Very first night just doing a few tests to get used to using it, bam, dead.

Before it went dead I was just taking single shots untethered, did about 60 like this

and non longer than 30seconds.

Then I tried tethered using BYE.

First two 120seconds ok, then tried 240secs ok downloaded image ok.

All I did just before it died was go from Bulb to manual while still tethered to

BYE.......BAM!........DEAD.

Not blaming BYE but just changing one camera setting should'nt have killed it, surely?

BTW camera and laptop running on their batteries mount powered by mains psu.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've seen a thread somewhere, maybe on a different forum where someone did the same to about 3 Canon 60Da's. Not sure if the problem was resolved. I'll try and hunt out the thread, may give you some ideas.

* Here's the thread I was thinking of, it's over on UKAI http://ukastroimaging.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=58065.0 *

* And another one from SGL http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/183791-problems-with-x2-cannon-d60a-both-dead-within-3-hours-why/page-2?hl=%2B60da#entry2029697

I find it strange that Canon chose such an old model to modify and sell for astrophotography.  More recent ones give so much better results from all the reports of tests I've read.

My new 60Da just self-destructed in a similar way.

In this case I was using "EOS Utility" and didn't change any settings on the camera itself. All I did was to slow "Live View" and then closed down the program, at which point the mirror twitched.

Switching off the camera worked as usual with it doing the sensor cleaning. However, the camera will no-longer turn on.

After removing the lens and SD card and replacing the battery and closing the door you can hear a faint ticking sound about twice a second, as if the camera is trying to boot up and then crashing.

Is there any firmware update utility that can probe the camera at a lower level than the full camera software loading, almost at the BIOS level?  Quite often in devices like this the full Camera OS does not need to fully load and can be controlled by a diagnostic application.  Worth investigating if the camera is out of warranty?  Maybe take it to a dealer and ask them?  

Of course, the camera could be blown as well!

Mine is completely dead.

Recharged the battery but no joy with full charge.

There was no sign of any thing wrong until I changed from bulb to manual.

It was more or less instant and it did'nt respond in anyway.

At least all the data I took remained ok on the sd card.

Going to contact WEX and sort out whats going to happen as I got it at the end of June.

If and when it comes back I will not be tethering again unless there is a sure cure for it not to happen again.

I find it strange that Canon chose such an old model to modify and sell for astrophotography.  More recent ones give so much better results from all the reports of tests I've read.

I'm puzzled why you think that the 60D is an "old" model. It was announced in March 2010 and wasn't available until November 2010. The 60Da was announced and released only 18 months later in March 2012.

The replacement for the 60D, the 70D, is only now just becoming available in the shops.

Maybe you're getting confused with the D60, which is an ancient Canon DSLR?

I'm puzzled why you think that the 60D is an "old" model. It was announced in March 2010 and wasn't available until November 2010. The 60Da was announced and released only 18 months later in March 2012.

The replacement for the 60D, the 70D, is only now just becoming available in the shops.

Maybe you're getting confused with the D60, which is an ancient Canon DSLR?

Seems I was mistaken but no, it wasn't the D60 I was confused with - it was the 20D which I believe they also converted to astro and called it the 20Da.

Sorry about that.

Just tested the battery........it appears to be dead.

This is after recharging it.........but I did leave the camera switched on, so something still drains the battery.

Tried the AC psu just in case the battery is the culprit but still dead.

Just tested the battery........it appears to be dead.

This is after recharging it.........but I did leave the camera switched on, so something still drains the battery.

Tried the AC psu just in case the battery is the culprit but still dead.

The constant attempts at starting up followed by crashing would be what drained the battery. Just try putting the battery in, close the door and place the front of the camera next to your ear. You should hear a very quiet ticking sound about twice a second, more pronounced if you try switching the camera on.

Seems I was mistaken but no, it wasn't the D60 I was confused with - it was the 20D which I believe they also converted to astro and called it the 20Da.

Sorry about that.

That's OK. Yes, they produced the 20Da in about 2005, I think. It was pretty popular at the time, apparently.

For both my Canons I bought very good quality cards.

I did try the one from my 600d in the 60da but still no joy.

Cannot think of anything else to try.......back it goes....shame it's a nice cam.

Given that it seems to be a generic circuit board fault on the batch of boards used during the 60Da production run, getting the camera sent back to Canon via your retailer for repair would probably be the best solution as you will then get a working camera and very probably one which will last.

Is there any firmware update utility that can probe the camera at a lower level than the full camera software loading, almost at the BIOS level?  Quite often in devices like this the full Camera OS does not need to fully load and can be controlled by a diagnostic application.  Worth investigating if the camera is out of warranty?  Maybe take it to a dealer and ask them?  

Of course, the camera could be blown as well!

http://www.magiclantern.fm/

This site has software that delves deeper into Canon than Canon software lets you, haven't got round to trying it yet though.

Dave

I've had mine no for 12 months now and have had no problems - yet. It seems Canon has pulled ALL 60Da's off the shelf and what is still out there, (according to my Canon reps) is suss to failure.

Rumor, have you met him? has it, that Canon are re-designing a NEW more modern, AP camera as they now realise there is bigger market for this type of camera, then what they first expected.

But from what I've been told by Canon reps, this my not be so, as after the hubblebaloo of the 60Da, they don't want to be caught up the 'once bitten.twice shy' syndrome, which could affect sales. It's now a wait and see.

Archived