Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_dslr_mirrorlesss_winners.thumb.jpg.9deb4a8db27e7485a7bb99d98667c94e.jpg

Twisted Lip

Hit the DSLR quality buffer with IC434

F ratio is the photographic speed - so it is crucial to exposures. One minute of F4 is equal to 2 minutes of F5.6 (assuming focal length is constant so the pictures are the same).

OK, but if you go from F4 to F5.6 at constant focal length, you half the area of your aperture. So half the number of photons you can collect.

Yes, that's the point. F ratio is the ratio between the image scale and the light gathering area.

A.G, surely it's only aperture that matters here? F-ratio should only affect image scale?

No Russell, it is the Fratio that matters, two scopes of F5 will require the same exposure even if the apertures are different, the one with a larger aperture will have a longer focal length and a narrower FOV, probably better resolution depending on the seeing .

Regards,

A.G

Sounds like it's both then ;) You can't compare f-ratio, you also need either aperture or focal length. heck, you could ditch f-ratio and just use aperture and FL :)

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By rotatux
      My first relative success at this target.
      Some dust mites show because the mount had good tracking and I used no darks nor flats. With my camera the cure should be quite simply to power cycle off/on so that auto-cleaning moves the dust elsewhere.
      Capture: Olympus E-PL6 on Skywatcher 130PDS at 565mm/4.35 with SWCC and didymium filter on Omegon EQ-300 tracking RA
      Exposure: 12 × 60s × 2500iso
      Site: 50km from Paris (France), sky Bortle ~ 4
      Processing: Regim 3.4, Fotoxx 12.01+
    • By PembrokeSteve
      Hi, 
      During the 3 clear nights in a row, I had last week, I could not resist giving the Horsehead Nebula a go, using my Vixen VC200L.
      Whilst imaging with my Canon 450D via APT, I could not make out the Horse's head whatsoever on my laptop screen, but I knew I was on target, because I could see NGC2023, at the bottom of my screen.
      Anyway I was pleasantly suprised with this result after processing through APP and tweaking in GIMP.
      Not the total failure I was expecting.

Image Info:-
      Vixen VC200L Telescope
      Canon 450D camera unmodified
      ISO 1600
      All I could do before fog ended the night:-
      x20 120 sec Lights, x20 100 sec Lights, x10 80 sec Lights, x10 40 sec Lights
      x21 Darks, x40 Bias and x40 Flats

Processed in APP 

Regards,
      Steve

• By Jannis
      After being sick for what feels like an eternity, followed by two weeks of clouds and wind, i simply could not just let this night go as it was said to be yet another week or two with clouds on the way.
      With my main scope not quite ready for use yet, i quickly hooked up the QHY5L-II-M to a canon 50mm lens, attached a 7nm Ha filter, and started looking for a decent target. I didn't need to look long before i saw Orion, and then it was set!
      As the moon is currently 78% lit i must admit i was a bit worried, but i think the end result turned out OK, especially considering the relatively little data of just about 1 hour.
      Exposure is 13x 300s (and 35x 30s for the core of M42) with the QHY5L-II at gain 12.
      The lens is a Canon 50mm F/1.4@F/2.8
      Darks applied to 300s exposures, but no flats or offset. Stacked in DSS, processed in PS and cropped to 16*9 size.

• By Ikonnikov
      This is the Ha (15x 30 mins with the Chroma 3nm) to go with the LRGB data I used here:
      I haven't managed to satisfactorily incorporate it yet, I think because it's a lot stronger than the RGB and it reddens the image too much (and overwhelms a lot of the brown dust which I want to preserve). Ideally I'd increase the amount of LRGB data substantially to help with this but it's too late for that now this year; guess I'll have to work on my processing skills a bit more. Will also try to rework the stars in (L)RGB to tame them somewhat.
      Paul

• By Ikonnikov
      Field around the Horsehead Nebula bordering up to the edge of M42. I wanted to try to bring out some dust below the Ha region but ran out of time to deal better with the crazier stars. First time I've processed the Horsehead without any Ha data added (will have a go now I've done the LRGB only version for this competition).
      L 42x5min, R 16x5min, G 16x5min, B 25x5min, taken in December 2017 and January/February 2018 with a Takahashi E-130D on Avalon Linear mount with Moravian G3-16200 mono CCD. Processed in Pixinisght.
      Hope you enjoy!
      Paul

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.