NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Barlow-Revalation Astro 2.5x or...?

Hi everyone,

I'm going to buy a Barlow lens and since we cant get the Tal 2x here anymore (which, going through the forum history seemed to be *the* one to get on a lower budget price range), the general consensus seems to be that a Revalation Astro 2.5x seems to be the replacement of choice. Thing is, I only really wanted a 2x lens so I was wondering what any of your opinions are on an alternative one would be, or just go for the universally praised and excellently priced 3 element Rev Astro 2.5x ? (I'm actually thinking the quality of the Rev Astro makes it a no brainer but I'd really love to hear peoples thought and opinions on different barlows and the differing magnification strengths).

Any comments, suggestions and opinions really appreciated as always,

Vic.

Do yourself a favour and pick this up before somebody else does, 58 quid delivered inc taxes. These were at £120+ before they were discontinued.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CELESTRON-2X-ULTIMA-BARLOW-Great-Condition-/321287176740

Ye great barlow i have orion shorty plus which is the same as the ultima sadly been discontinued

Hi - I also have the 2.5 Revelation Barlow (and also because I couldn't get the Tal) and it is very good. I've read on a forum somewhere that it is nearer 2.2x rather than 2.5x which to my shame I'd never questioned or tested. In any event its still good and remarkable value. I'm pretty certain that the Revelation is a rebadged GSO item.

It went for 38 quid thats a steal sorry you didnt get it mate 

Cheers Andyman : /

Hi - I also have the 2.5 Revelation Barlow (and also because I couldn't get the Tal) and it is very good. I've read on a forum somewhere that it is nearer 2.2x rather than 2.5x which to my shame I'd never questioned or tested. In any event its still good and remarkable value. I'm pretty certain that the Revelation is a rebadged GSO item.

Thats kinda better for me tbh, as the quality and value of the Rev Astro 2.5x is excellent by all accounts, only I really only wanted a 2x. Pretty sure now that when I get a barlow, it will be the Rev 2.5 if  another suitably priced quality one like the Celestron Ultima above that I've just missed out on doesnt crop up 2nd hand.

Cheers all.

vvsloan........Hi, I'm waiting for better weather to arrive. The Revelation 2.5 with my BST8mm is a bit of a struggle at the moment. But I'm certain its just the conditions, and possibly an old eye? Ive been back in about 20 mins now, but as soon as the telescope cooled at 0400. the light clouds arrived again. But tonight's effort (the 4th attempt now) before the clouds obscured, was actually the best so far. I just need a perfect night, or even from a darker site to complete my final test. That said 375x is pushing the limits of my scope. but on the Moon, its absolutely amazing with the 8mm. I cant Barlow my 2" Panaview, but the Astro works fine on the 25, 18 and 12mm lenses, and great for the Moon. One more test will decide, either yes, it works on the 8mm under perfect conditions, or I come down to a 2xBarlow, for the 8mm and any other low FL eyepieces I may own.  Ive  been  contemplated buying a TMB Planetary II 6mm as a cheaper option to a BST 5mm? but the BST's have the greater AFOV.

vvsloan........Hi, I'm waiting for better weather to arrive. The Revelation 2.5 with my BST8mm is a bit of a struggle at the moment. But I'm certain its just the conditions, and possibly an old eye? Ive been back in about 20 mins now, but as soon as the telescope cooled at 0400. the light clouds arrived again. But tonight's effort (the 4th attempt now) before the clouds obscured, was actually the best so far. I just need a perfect night, or even from a darker site to complete my final test. That said 375x is pushing the limits of my scope. but on the Moon, its absolutely amazing with the 8mm. I cant Barlow my 2" Panaview, but the Astro works fine on the 25, 18 and 12mm lenses, and great for the Moon. One more test will decide, either yes, it works on the 8mm under perfect conditions, or I come down to a 2xBarlow, for the 8mm and any other low FL eyepieces I may own.  Ive  been  contemplated buying a TMB Planetary II 6mm as a cheaper option to a BST 5mm? but the BST's have the greater AFOV.

Hi Charic, the weather must be really frustrating you at the moment, but think of me- my scope (as in my mums-I bought it for her 4 xmas) lives at my mums house and I only get to use it when I go up 2 visit! (I kind of behave as if it's partly mine, like a child she has custody of but I have visiting rights to : ) She doesnt mind though, as I'm more into it than her it means I research and end up buying all the extra's, or paying maintenance, to keep with the analogy :) 

I'm still umming and ahhing over the Rev 2.5 or a different 3 element 2x barlow when one comes up 2nd hand, however I've decided to put a new EP before the Barlow as a priority (given the FL of the EP's we currently have. I'm waiting for a 15 or 18mm BST to come up.

Your moon views sound awesome, I hope a clear night comes up for you soon!

Vic.

Hi Charic, the weather must be really frustrating you at the moment, but think of me- my scope (as in my mums-I bought it for her 4 xmas) lives at my mums house and I only get to use it when I go up 2 visit! (I kind of behave as if it's partly mine, like a child she has custody of but I have visiting rights to : ) She doesnt mind though, as I'm more into it than her it means I research and end up buying all the extra's, or paying maintenance, to keep with the analogy :)

I'm still umming and ahhing over the Rev 2.5 or a different 3 element 2x barlow when one comes up 2nd hand, however I've decided to put a new EP before the Barlow as a priority (given the FL of the EP's we currently have. I'm waiting for a 15 or 18mm BST to come up.

Your moon views sound awesome, I hope a clear night comes up for you soon!

Vic.

..........I`ll try to capture an AFOCAL image next time using 375x and put that in my Gallery, to compare with the Prime Focal image of the Moon.

..........I`ll try to capture an AFOCAL image next time using 375x and put that in my Gallery, to compare with the Prime Focal image of the Moon.

Sorry, you'll have to explain to me what AFOCAL and Prime Focal means. I'm very new to this and we dont do imaging...

...........oops! sorry. Prime Focal is attaching  the camera directly to the telescope using adaptors and using the telescope as a lens. AFOCAL is just using a camera with its own lens fitted and literally  held up to the eyepiece. You can get adaptor brackets or sticky tape??? Check my gallery! 

...........oops! sorry. Prime Focal is attaching  the camera directly to the telescope using adaptors and using the telescope as a lens. AFOCAL is just using a camera with its own lens fitted and literally  held up to the eyepiece. You can get adaptor brackets or sticky tape??? Check my gallery! 

Thanks! Thats good to know, will check out ur pics. The learning curve continues......

Archived