NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

thanks for the kind comments guys :)  tingting, yes was very lucky and my first photo of the northern lights though could really see anything other than a slight white glow on the horizon...davew, yes mate ive got some more will post them up :)

Hi Darkside,

Those are very impressive images. i would be very interested, and i am sure others would be, in knowing some more information on the exposures, mount / tripod etc.

Congratulations again, those really are some good images :grin:

Ian

Fab pics Darkside. Delighted you managed to see some aurora as well as dark star filled skies during your trip.

I was lucky enough to see a good auroral display from Cairngorm mountain during a visit there in August (http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/192144-colourful-aurora-from-cairngorm/). It was during a particularly pleasant warm spell meaning that even at 2am I could view the display in shorts and T-shirt. It doesn't look like it was quite so warm for your visit :smiley:

thanks everyone... the aurora photos where taken in durness on the north west coast "beautaful place" all exposures where about 15 to 30 secs and on a fixed tripod, i did take my astro trac but even though we had good clear skys clouds where coming and going most of the nights so didnt bother useing it...iso i used on all the images where set at 10000 on my new 6d mainly just to see how good it was at hight iso, on reflection i probally over did it, but it was so tempting not to :/  thanks again ady :)

Superb set and a fine examples of the low light high ISO capabilities of the latest Canon full frame sensors in a really beautiful and by the looks of it "chilly" part of the country... 

The Samyang 14/2.8 is a popular lens for these type of shots I have one myself for my 5D Mk III but haven't had much chance to use it yet :( The lens that is not the camera....

Peter....

Archived