Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

It's Arrived!

chrisdg1968

:saturn:

Well, got a call from the missus at work today to say the 'scope (Skyliner 8" Dob. - thanks to Steve at FLO for the deal on this) had been delivered, and on arriving home found two large boxes waiting for me.

As luck would have it, my youngest fell asleep earlier than normal giving me time to assemble everything - had it all together by 7.30pm and compared to my little 4.5" Newt., what a monster! (when the missus got back from work, she took one look at it and commented 'It looks like you are about to give me a kidney scan with that!') Not used to this, but I am sure there are others on here who probably consider this 'scope a tiddler!

It does look very well made and, from what I could see, looks well collimated. I love the dual fit 1.25" / 2" Crayford focusser, very smooth.

It is also heavier than I expected, I can manage it myself but it is obvious you need to be careful whem lifting it about on your own, & I wouldn't like to attempt it if the old back was a bit dodgy.

Did not get a chance to try any observing with it tonight, although the skies did seem to be clearing somewhat when I moved it to it's space in the garage. Need to get it out in daylight to align the finderscope and do a final check on collimation.

Clear skies!

Chris

.... It is also heavier than I expected, I can manage it myself but it is obvious you need to be careful whem lifting it about on your own, & I wouldn't like to attempt it if the old back was a bit dodgy.

Congrats on the new scope Chris :D

I used to have the 10 inch version which was very nice. I could just about move it around the garden in one piece but it was a lot easier moving it in 2 sections - the mount then the optical tube - it felt safer doing it that way as well !.

Let's hope for some clear skies for you (and me for that matter :rolleyes:)

John

:saturn:

Thanks to all for your comments :rolleyes:.

I am really looking forward to getting out with the 'scope and finding our exactly what it is capable of - but looking at the weather today and forecast for the near future, I fear I (and others!) have some time to wait yet! :D

Chris

I hope you get many nights of great viewing and sheer joy from your new Dob I wish the weather would assist we are having it dreadful here in Leeds also, not sure where you are we are expecting it clear from midnightish until 3 am then nothing until Saturday

Archived