Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Buying today!

Ok after much procrastination I am buying a new (first) scope today after having much enjoyment with some bins for a while.

I don't want to spend a fortune, and portability is important, I plan on lots of camping trips in my old classic mini this year including a trip to the monaco a Grand Prix. So it needs to be portable.

Also I like the idea of being able to take a photo but that's less important.

I can afford the explorer 130p which is cheap as chips, or cheaper the dobsonian heritage 130p looks like a bargain! But am I right and thinking harder to take a picture through?

Can anyone give me a nudge in the right direction before I hit the buy button?

If dobsonians then really photograpy through one is not a realistic option, about the only thing would be the moon. People have taken an shot or two and managed something but they won't win any competitions.

Also attaching a DSLR of about 1Kg ultimately is not that great an idea.

I started with the Explorer 130p on the manual EQ2. The scope is nice to use and very manageable. The focusser won't be up to hanging a DSLR off it, and I believe you won't be able to achieve focus anyway (hence the 130PDS). The scope is right at the limit of of what the EQ2 mount can hold. For visual and with some tlc it's ok. I added a motor to mine and have used it and the scope with a webcam for some planetary imaging, but I have now switched a larger mount.

Looking at the rest of your post, it looks like portability is your key requirement, so I'm inclined to suggest the Heritage.

What about the Skywatcher Heritage-114p Virtuoso? It's a bit less aperture, but it's a compact scope, with tracking so you might be able to take a crack at planetary imaging, and the mount has some features for terrestrial photography too.

Well, I didn't buy. Still procrastinating.

I've found someone selling a SW explorer 130p for £130 with a warrantee.

But reading good things about the heritage 130p. Are they (apart from the mount) the same thing? What I can see through them will be similar?

What I want to see, is planets for the first time. Not just dots, but some detail, something clear. That really excites me. Ultimately who knows, but for now planets would be great!

Any more advice appreciated.

I'm pretty sure they both have the same aperture and focal length etc, but you can always check the details on FLOs website. There is a very good sticky called What can I expect to see? In the Getting Started with Observing section. There's also this calculator which helps simulate the view for various telescope and eyepiece observations http://www.12dstring.me.uk/fov.htm.

Seeing as it sounds like this scope is going to be doing some travelling, have you considered a small refractor? It's worth taking the time to research now, rather than repent later :)

Have made a purchase. Heritage 130p which looks portable and has great reviews, and should get me used to using a dob, then all being well will get a Dob 200p as a more permanent home scope.

Should be here on Tuesday.

No turning back now!

I purchased the Heritage 130p last week and am thrilled with the results.  I'm a complete amateur and spent lots of time setting up.  It came 'ready to use' in the box but I had to make a few tweaks such as tightening the bolt holding the secondary mirror arm in place.  Managed to get really good views of the moon for a while last night and can get a decent view of Jupiter with its moons.  Best of luck with the purchase!

Awesome- you've got both bases covered now- home observing and with the mini - portability - just need some decent weather now

The spending is a slippery slope for a while - I'd just sit back and enjoy what you've got for the time being until you get used to your kit

Enjoy

I had an under bed clear out, sold a redundant nexus 7 tablet that I've not used since I got a work ipad, sold an apple TV that's been upgraded, sold a load of Rubbish I never use and I've pretty much paid for the scope with it, maybe adding £50 to the pot.

Happy days!

The 200p is a brilliant scope - widely regarded as the best value for money scope on the market. Large apeture whilst remaining portable and no-fuss, so it actually gets used. I was out with mine last night and had a wonderful time. Jupiter was particularly gorgeous from Norfolk last night. 

Enjoy!

Really looking forward to getting it into the back garden tomorrow night.

I'm in London, so LP is always going to be an issue. My back garden backs onto a cemetery so there's actually not a lot of very local light where I will be. Fingers crossed, and Stellarium downloaded!

Thanks for all the pointers (and patience!).

The Heritage 130P is a great scope. Optically speaking it is identical to its big brother the Explorer 130P. So what you see through one............you will see through the other. Its extremely compact and portable and is set up literally in a couple of minutes. Great for those times away in the camper van.

I see you also bought a 200mm Dob (skywatcher)?. You lucky devil. That really is a scope held in very high regard. I hope its in good condition and serves you well. 

Both great, very able scopes. The difference between the 130mm and the 200mm will knock your socks off. For the 130P, because it is an open truss scope, you will need to think about making a shroud for it to block out stray light. Easilt done with a camping mat and double sided velcro or similar materials.

So it's here. It seems to be in perfect condition, not a mark on it.

Like a complete @rse I've left the eye pieces and 2 bolt thingy-me-bobs at the guys house, so I won't have it set up for a couple of days.

Worth the 4 hour round trip and crazy crazy rain.. :)

Archived