NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Which Galaxy Did I Observe?

Paulo83

I was out viewing earlier tonight and after looking at a few other objects, I decided to try and find Andromeda for the first time in my 8" Dob. I was only using the supplied 25mm eyepiece (that came with the Skyliner 200P) because I haven't had chance to upgrade yet. My skies are pretty badly polluted due to nearby street lights and bedroom lights in houses close-by etc.

Anyway, I found the square of Pegasus, moved northeast to find Mirach (glows orange, right?) and then I swung north (or to the right) roughly towards Cassiopeia and I picked up a small smudge of light in my scope. It was obviously larger than the stars surrounding it and when looked at directly, it was a fuzzy haze, but in averted vision, it became a decently bright, but small galaxy core with a haze around it. I am thinking maybe it was either M110 or M32?

Was it close to M31 ?.

If it was M32 or M110 then M31 would be in the same field of view too as the 3 are pretty close together. Maybe it was M31 itself - with some LP around and milky skies (which we had here earlier) it might just not be too spectacular.

Was it close to M31 ?.

If it was M32 or M110 then M31 would be in the same field of view too as the 3 are pretty close together. Maybe it was M31 itself - with some LP around and milky skies (which we had here earlier) it might just not be too spectacular.

I was thinking that it may have been M31 itself because I don't know what M31 looks like through my scope. I was kind of expecting the obvious massive galaxy with spiral arms etc, but in crappy skies, I know it's not the case now!

I will have to observe again when I get the chance. I think I'll have a better idea of what I'm looking at and the other galaxies which are near it.

I would be pretty sure it would have been m31 . M32 is much much smaller and would be dwarfed by m31 . M110 is further away and faint in comparison even to m32.

Basically I'm saying the other two you'd go out of your way to detect , where as m31 stands out even in a finder scope for example . So if you happen to slew by it you'll find it hard to miss.

Well done by the way , it's a great object and you've bagged yourself a messier .

Yeah, I picked it up as an obvious galaxy in my finder scope. Just wasn't sure which one it was when I viewed it through the eyepiece. I will be upgrading my 25mm eyepiece and adding a 32mm piece to my collection shortly. Hopefully get a better view then.

At least I know where to look now for what is supposed to be a great object to observe.

lol spiral arms. I have a 12" scope and I have yet to see those. Usually I get 4.5 to 5.5 mag skies here, but the local light pollution which pours onto my lot prohibits proper dark adaptation. Maybe in the near months when the lake at our summer cottage has frozen over and I get the proper dark skies. 

Most of the galaxies in an 8incher in normal circumstances look like a round gray smudge with a brighter center , sort of like a bit of mold on the sky. Some are more oval, some are edge-on and might be brighter and narrower lines. (cigar galaxy). Problem with galaxies is their low surface brightness, so any moisture in the air reflecting any local light pollution will quickly swamp the contrast. If your eye is not dark-adapted you dont even  see the whole galaxy, only the central brighter spot. 

try looking at bode's nebulae and nearby cigar galaxy, I checked them out today and cigar appeared relatively bright. If you have the chance, use your longest focal length eyepiece and dark-adapt atleast 30 minutes, keep both eyes open (block the other with your hand) and use averted vision. You might actually see some structure. I have streetlights and christmas lights blaring on my eyes so I have no hope here. 

Wow, I just posted mentioning basically the same exact thing as you.  I'm hoping if I can make it out to some dark skies and let my eyes adapt I will see some structure.  There are just too many porch and street lights around me.  I may try covering myself with a blanket to block the light for 30 minutes or so and see what happens.  Good Luck!

Paulo83.........Hi, M31 Andromeda will appear as a dirty little smudge using either the 10mm or the 25mm lenses supplied with the Skyliner. Now if you take the Skyliner to a much darker site. You will find that you wont see M31 because you CANT FIT IT ALL IN? Under the right skies and conditions, M31 is great using the supplied 25mm, however, its the reason for my choosing my 32mm panaview, so that when I visit my dark site again, I'll be even more Wowed! again. You wont see  or shouldn't see any great spirals, but you will see an elongated  nebulosity that doesn't fit in the viewfinder with that 25mm attached.

It will be the core of M31, in an 8" reflector and 25mm eyepiece that will be all of Andromeda that could fit in the view.

M31 is 3 degrees across and that eyepiece would give about 1 degree, all you see therefore is 1/3 of M31, possibly less if the scope is 1200mm FL.

Yeah likely it was the M31 core which really stands out since it's much brighter than the rest of it. You should be able to see M31, 101 and 32 all in the same wide view (skies permitting) and it's quite a sight. I've never seen any spiral structure, it's basically a fuzzball with a bright core and it's very big, extending right out by 6 moon diameters but you'll only see that much of it against super dark skies. Imaging with long exposure does reveal is't arms and dark bands, although it seems to be less well defined that some other face on spiral galaxies (or maybe that's just my poor imaging!).

I think that's settled then. M31 it was. Now I need to invest in a good 32mm eyepiece and eventually take my scope out to a proper dark sky location. I just want to learn the basics from the comfort of my own garden for the time being, but I'm really looking forward to experiencing viewing with real dark skies in the future.

I think that's settled then. M31 it was. Now I need to invest in a good 32mm eyepiece and eventually take my scope out to a proper dark sky location. I just want to learn the basics from the comfort of my own garden for the time being, but I'm really looking forward to experiencing viewing with real dark skies in the future.

And there's nowt wrong with that. There's plenty to see from urban skies .

As long as your enjoying it , that's what matters.

It sounds like you saw M31 from the description. If you want to see the structure and spiral arms then trip along to a star party and get a look through a 20" plus scope - you'll be gobsmacked. :)

But then I'll be in danger of never wanting to use my 8" Dob ever again!  :tongue:

I want to go galaxy/nebula hunting so I have ordered myself a 32mm 2" Panaview. Can't wait for it to arrive.

But then I'll be in danger of never wanting to use my 8" Dob ever again!  :tongue:

I want to go galaxy/nebula hunting so I have ordered myself a 32mm 2" Panaview. Can't wait for it to arrive.

..........Me too!  :grin:

Took me ages to choose, but I think it will be fine. 

We have almost the same system !

Archived