Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Jupiter and Ganymede

Barv

Hi all and Merry Christmas!

I got this image of jupiter and Ganymede on the night of the 10th December. Stacking done in AS2 with wavelets in Registax. 

The scope was an Intes Micro MN86 Deluxe. (8" Mak Newt). I welcome your comments.

Thanks for looking!

post-32779-0-44070500-1387922903_thumb.p

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi all and Merry Christmas!

I got this image of jupiter and Ganymede on the night of the 10th December. Stacking done in AS2 with wavelets in Registax. 

The scope was an Intes Micro MN86 Deluxe. (8" Mak Newt). I welcome your comments.

Thanks for looking!

Very nice! What did you use to capture it with?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Sorry I should av posted it, - A ZWO120MC. Thanks for asking

Nicely done Barv! Excellent composition, processing and detail and a very desirable telescope you have there.    Look forward to seeing some more images from this.

Many thanks Jake. yes I love these scopes. This is my second one and they are very reasonably priced on the second hand market for some strange reason?

Regards Barv

Many thanks Jake. yes I love these scopes. This is my second one and they are very reasonably priced on the second hand market for some strange reason?

Regards Barv

I shall have to keep my eyes peeled and save up! Not optically as fast as the SW MN190, but it looks very nicely engineered - I shall look up some reviews.

I shall have to keep my eyes peeled and save up! Not optically as fast as the SW MN190, but it looks very nicely engineered - I shall look up some reviews.

Be warned though Jake, you will never see a bad review of these scopes and the Russian optical quality is uncomparable with anything else! (They are the Rolls Royce of Mak Newts)!

Super image Barv, perhaps a little blue heavy though :icon_scratch:

Thanks Naemeth. Doesn't surprise me about the blue, I used an .IR cut filter. Tried processing the colours correctly, but couldn't get things quite right! Well done for noticing!

Nice detail, how +- many images over what duration of time?

To play with the warmth of Jupiter, try to stretch the red channel (or reduce the blue) in Registax Histogram.

Hi Christopher. The capture was just over 19000 frames at 112FPS. I only used 1500 of them in the final image though.

PS. I did play with the channels but obviously didn't get it quite right. (I am sure you know how it is when processing Christopher. - You can manipulate an image for too long and actually think you've got it right by the end of it but you haven't)!

Regards

Hi Christopher. The capture was just over 19000 frames at 112FPS. I only used 1500 of them in the final image though.

PS. I did play with the channels but obviously didn't get it quite right. (I am sure you know how it is when processing Christopher. - You can manipulate an image for too long and actually think you've got it right by the end of it but you haven't)!

Regards

BTW I really like the image, I personally prefer warmer tones for jup.

But I know what it is like to spend hours tweaking and then to realise you have lost a element of natural look and start over again.

This is art not a science!

These super high frame rates usually deliver a darker image have you tried any images with a lower frame rate ?

Pat

Not sure I follow this, though quite possibly labouring under a (or many) false assumption(s).    I thought provided the histogram was full but not saturated, say 75-85% then the higher the frame rates the better to combat the effects of poor seeing and give more frames to stack for higher SNR.

Typically in recent 8 bit captures of Jupiter,   I've been getting histogram max around 225 and noise of around 14 with simple dark frame subtraction.   With frame rates between 109 and 85FPS for a 640x480 ROI.

Are there other factors, non linearality or sweet spots to get the best dynamic range?

Not sure I follow this, though quite possibly labouring under a (or many) false assumption(s).    I thought provided the histogram was full but not saturated, say 75-85% then the higher the frame rates the better to combat the effects of poor seeing and give more frames to stack for higher SNR.

Typically in recent 8 bit captures of Jupiter,   I've been getting histogram max around 225 and noise of around 14 with simple dark frame subtraction.   With frame rates between 109 and 85FPS for a 640x480 ROI.

Are there other factors, non linearality or sweet spots to get the best dynamic range?

That was my take on it too Jake. I usually try to get the histogram to over 70% minimum and go as fast as the computer/camera will allow to eliminate the effects of poor seeing! High frame rates also obviously allow you to use more frames in the final image to combat noise.

Harvey 

Archived