NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

The Infinite Monkey Cage

JamesF

Just listened to today's broadcast, on the subject of "science communication".  The panel included a personal "hero" in James Burke, talking about the coverage of the Moon landings amongst many other things.  Worth a listen.

James

And if you haven't heard the programme before a lot of the past series are downloadable as podcasts. A very pleasant way to while away some time if you like your science with a bit of humour.

Will listen tomorrow night as usual - only I will be peeling sprouts at that time tomorrow  :)

Preparing for Christmas 2014 already! :D

I randomly recall hearing in the last few days that even fewer people claim to like "traditional" Christmas cake than like sprouts.  There are some weird people about.  I wouldn't want sprouts in my Christmas cake, but I am very happy to eat either.  What's not to like about Christmas cake?

James

My Christmas cake is home made as are the mince pies and various other odds and end all aiming to make me put on weight, no Turkey this year there seem to have a virus that's not going to harm humans so its a couple of Ducks some Pork, Chicken, and 2 trolley loads of other assorted stuff from Tesco's, Merry Xmas all...

I do like this series as it's a complete mix of hard science and off-the-wall comedy. All 48 episodes on the iPod in the car - far better than Radio 1 and only marginally better than the entire Pink Floyd collection on playlist 2!

The two episodes with Katy Brand where they desperately tried to work out the practicalities of whether a strawberry was dead were classics :grin:

AndyG

I do like this series as it's a complete mix of hard science and off-the-wall comedy. All 48 episodes on the iPod in the car - far better than Radio 1 and only marginally better than the entire Pink Floyd collection on playlist 2!

The two episodes with Katy Brand where they desperately tried to work out the practicalities of whether a strawberry was dead were classics :grin:

AndyG

There's a man after my own heart. Excellent choice :grin:

Well I've listened to about 6 podcast episodes so far , great bedtime listening . I've found it absolutely brilliant . Informative with good dollops of humour . Mr cox has a good sense of humour too , some if the banter is really funny.

I'd recomend this programme if you've not listened to it before ( like myself)

A friend of mine managed to get tickets to a recording of this recently - a 3 hour long show that we get condensed into 1/2 hour - I'd love to go along to that and see if they can keep up the humour and interest for the whole 3 hours.  Shame this series has just finished - the best so far I think.  All programmes are available on Iplayer which is great.

I saw The Infinite Monkey Cage on tour a few years back in Plymouth. A very good three hours of enjoyment with Robin Ince, Brian Cox, Ben Goldacre and Simon Singh. For good measure they had Tim Minchin for the interlude entertainment. Even got to see Brian Cox playing the piano and accompanying Tim in one of his songs. Priceless entertainment.

The weird thing was that Tim Minchin wasn't publicised anywhere prior to the show. In the run up to the start of the show there was a guy in a hoodie playing the piano. It was only a bit later when he was singing that I realised who he was. A rather good bonus to an already excellent evenings entertainment. The rather lengthy show did mean trying to find a restaurant open after 11pm though.

The weird thing was that Tim Minchin was not mentioned prior to the start of the show. The only clue was a guy in a hoodie with no shoes playing the piano. It was only when he started singing that I finally realised who the mysterious keyboard player was. An excellent addition to an already very entertaining evening of entertainment. I even managed to find a restaurant open after 11pm for a late dinner. Result all round!

Archived