Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Orion nebula!

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've figured out why I couldn't focus on the trapezium and im looking forward to seeing if I've corrected it. it turns out my mirrors were out of collimation quite alot so now im going to wait until the trapezium is staring me in the face and hopefully get a good view of it. wish me luck - also I've decided to upgrade and ordered a skywatcher explorer 200p on eq5 mount and im looking forward to picking it up on monday night. lets hope the weather will be nice for me XD

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

im going to so happy when I can clearly see the trapezium for the first time. I can find m42 no problem so it's going to be great getting right on focus. Im going to have to save up every week now so I can start investing on EPs and barlows for my new scope. its unbelievable how we can see these things with a took made simply out of a tube and a couple of mirrors and some lenses

Had a fantastic night tonight with my new scope I managed jupiter and I believe 6 moons as well as m42 and managed to see the trapezium for the first time and had a good look at rigel which looked like a diamond in the sky and also pleiades cluster. Absolutely fantastic night!

Had a fantastic night tonight with my new scope I managed jupiter and I believe 6 moons as well as m42 and managed to see the trapezium for the first time and had a good look at rigel which looked like a diamond in the sky and also pleiades cluster. Absolutely fantastic night!

Well done Sam! Glad you had a good night and saw some lovely objects.

Jupiter looked fabulous last night. Did you spot the Great Red Spot? It was well placed at around 9pm. You would have seen just the four Galilean moons, the other two were background stars which look similar. At higher powers you can just tell that the moons are tiny disks, whereas stars always remain as points of light.

Cheers,

Stu

Having only got use of my 15x70 bins atm (and really only since I started gazing at the sky all of 6 weeks ago) I can say that Orion and its nebula along with the pleiades, and Taurus, (the winter hexagon in general) has stolen my heart. Luckily for me (or unluckily depending on how you look at it) my little terraced house is surrounded on all sides by buildings, but that wonderful section of sky is the part which is visible from my little window into the sky.

As I'm totally rubbish with a planisphere, its been so rewarding learning to read this little section of space with my eyes (then consulting Stellarium indoors, or vice versa).

In a way, I'm glad that up till now I've I've only had the use of the bins as I've learned so much in terms of 'reading' this bit of sky, the patience it requires, even with bins, and the rewards once you get the hang of things and things become, recognisable, identifiable, then familiar :)

Now I cant wait to explore what I feel I've become so acquainted with with the bins, with the scope which lives (and is in fact owned) at my mothers house. I'm so excited at the prospect of seeing what lies beyond the power of my bins in my beloved piece of sky :)

(I have just now moved onto another piece of sky which is visible by staying up a bit later and utilising a sun lounger so I can get horizontal with the monopod; have seen some beautiful sights which are rewarding in themselves, but by my very brief past experience, with patience I cant wait to identify exactly what it is I'm looking at:)

Should clarify that I have no definite answer (just a guess), but I have just spent an enjoyable couple of hours with the scope, and these featured a couple of times :).

Thanks. Really good night with the scope too and managed some great pics of the moon for the first time plus finding Andromeda.

Thanks. Really good night with the scope too and managed some great pics of the moon for the first time plus finding Andromeda.

Yes, I spent a good 30 minutes looking at the moon.  Really looking forward to my first set of 'Waning' views with the scope over the next couple of weeks; just hope we get some clear nights  :)

Can someone please clarify, is the Orion Nebula M42 & M43? Just wanted to know which to tick off my list as I have seen this in the scope so assume I am looking at both at once?

M43 is a somewhat fainter distinct part just to the north, separated from M42 by a dust lane, and surrounding a mag 7 star. Modern images tend to not show it clearly separated, but it's very clear in this pic from the late 19th century, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Orion-Nebula_A_A_Common.jpg

I've been spending a bit of time on Orion's nebula. The detail is amazing it's one of my favourite things. I was out with my little lad who is only 4 and learning about space at school. I told him to look for the 3 stars and he said "is that Orion's Belt?" Beaming with a fathers pride I told him to look down at the glow of stars under his belt to show him visually where we were looking with the scope to which he replied "daddy, is that Orion's balls?"

I nearly spat by coffee out! Lol :-D

I've been spending a bit of time on Orion's nebula. The detail is amazing it's one of my favourite things. I was out with my little lad who is only 4 and learning about space at school. I told him to look for the 3 stars and he said "is that Orion's Belt?" Beaming with a fathers pride I told him to look down at the glow of stars under his belt to show him visually where we were looking with the scope to which he replied "daddy, is that Orion's balls?"

I nearly spat by coffee out! Lol :-D

Just what we need on these cloud covered nights!  :laugh:

Archived