NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Windows XP heads up

Scooot

Anyone still using windows XP might be interested in this. For ages I've been having problems with high CPU usage on my business pcs which has caused all sorts of problems.

We've now pinpointed the problem to this.

http://www.infoworld.com/t/microsoft-windows/microsoft-promises-fix-windows-xp-svchost-redlining-soon-possible-232675

There's a patch now available for anyone also having the same problem.

It wasn't bad enough to totally lock up the PC, but I did find some of the XP boxes at my work were showing high CPU usage. I got convinced it was a virus at first, ran a bunch of scans that came back negative, so maybe this is an explanation.

Of course, XP's time is all but over anyway.

Looks like it was very sound decision to dump IE:

...This was primarily on Windows XP machines running IE6 or IE7. There were a few reports of this happening on Windows XP with IE8, but only a few...

I have never noticed any problems on mine (running FF).

Annoyingly it's not supported from April I think. My problem is I have an important but very old 32 bit application that won't run on the latest operating systems. So I've either got to buy (very expensive) a replacement application or run the old one in some sort of emulation mode on a modern operating system? I'm going to try the latter first.

Just because it will stop being "supported" doesn't mean it will stop running overnight.

I fail to see why you should have a problem?

Like I've said I (with many millions of others, I am sure) will continue using XP for a long time ...

Yes I probably will keep using it , but as soon as problems arise my IT support keep putting the problems down to old equipment. As far as I'm concerned it works perfectly well, I have plenty of memory and hard drive space so I don't see why it shouldn't work.

The cynic in me thinks Microsoft have deliberately created this problem to drive more sales of new equipment.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if MS were to deliberately make Windows XP difficult and/or not nice to use these days, it's easy for them to deliberately introduce 'bugs' etc for those that allow updates.

It would be a way for them to try and force as many as possible to update to Windows 7 etc.

I think that's the trick, if you reboot and apply the MS updates you might notice it. Although as mentioned I think other application updates trigger it as well. It's very noticeable it basically prevents you from doing anything for a long time. The fix is a patch to internet explorer 8, so if you have an older version of that, maybe that's helping you.

As far as I know it's got all the updates, we don't use IE so not sure what version we have.

Actually come to think of it, our secretary did mention that the PAYE software was very slow the other day.

Will definately have a look next week when I get in.

As far as I know it's got all the updates, we don't use IE so not sure what version we have.

Actually come to think of it, our secretary did mention that the PAYE software was very slow the other day.

Will definately have a look next week when I get in.

Just open task manager and click on the processor tab and sort in memory order (sorry if this is telling you to suck eggs lol) the svchost process will be using say 95% of resources if its affecting you.

Annoyingly it's not supported from April I think. My problem is I have an important but very old 32 bit application that won't run on the latest operating systems. So I've either got to buy (very expensive) a replacement application or run the old one in some sort of emulation mode on a modern operating system? I'm going to try the latter first.

Windows 7 and 8 both have 'XP Compatibility Mode' for older programs. Has worked a treat for me - I even managed to get the game 'Myst' from the original CD (mid 1990's) running using this method, so anything you have should run fine :)

I think it will be very sad when XP bites the dust.  I have very old software which does not run on windows 7.  I do not like windows 7 or windows 8.  I run XP on an old Toshiba laptop which also runs all my astro programmes.  But this computer is NEVER connected to the internet.  I hope it will last for many years yet.

chris

I have been using XP for years but have recently changed to Linux Mint on my main system........ It can do everything I want it to do.... (Virtual Moon Atlas, Cartes Du Ceil and Stellarium have Linux versions) and it is FREE.

I still use XP on my obsy laptop for imaging but I always have updates turned off and I never use IE, I will be using XP for many more years because it is a good system that I have learned to set-up and tweak to my requirements.

Archived