NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

What is that star/planet seen with the moon this morning?

SW130p

Hi all

Newbie question. I was on my way to work this morning looking up at the great view off the moon, as I looked a bit higher slightly to the left of it there's a small star or planet shinning.

Can someone please tell me what it is.

Thanks Hong.

Thanks had a feeling it was. I have only been doing this for a week, doing loads of studying and reading about my new hobby and pleased i got my map reading skill on the right track.

Thanks again, can't wait to get my scope at xmas.

Hong.

As Tinker said, download stellarium as its free.

I spend quite a bit of time on there. I'm away at my mums next week in which there is no light pollution and I have just put in her location and forwarded the dates to see what I maybe able to see there.

According to Stellarium, you should be able to see at 6am Saturn, Mars and Jupiter in the south (and the weather for tomorrow morning according to http://www.metcheck.com/UK/ should be OK as well).

Whether it is actually possible that's another story and I am too green to know :grin:

Yeah, I saw that. The weather here in the morning isn't so good but showing clear on friday.

I pointed Jupiter out to my work mates and they were surprised, I said I would take my ST80 and camera tripod in for them to have a look through.

According to Stellarium, you should be able to see at 6am Saturn, Mars and Jupiter in the south (and the weather for tomorrow morning according to http://www.metcheck.com/UK/ should be OK as well).

Whether it is actually possible that's another story and I am too green to know :grin:

Mars is easy to see just below Leo and quite high in the sky, Saturn is harder with it being quite a bit lower but it will be unmistakable in your ED80. when you find Mars, the bright star below it and to the right is Spica, look to the right around a similar distance and you will see Saturn. Mars, Spica, Saturn are almost in a straight line, they form a very flat triangle (if there such thing )

Jupiter the first time i saw the gas giant i was amazed at what i could see, ever since i've never had viewing conditions that matched that day. The moon at the moment is a little too close to Jupiter from earths perspective for me to be happy viewing.

Had another look this morning using binoculars could just make out one off its moons, think it's Ganymeade.

Just watch out for Delta Geminorum (aka Wasat), it's doing a nice job of impersonating a moon lately. The actual moons will appear closer to the planet and at a different angle.

Archived