Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

C90 Mak. Worth looking into?

Kirscovitch............Hi, It looks like a nice spotting scope. It would be fine during the day for terrestrial work and I would imagine it would be good for looking at the Moon. Beyond that at night, I think your options my be restricted as to what you think you could see due to the size of the aperture. The bigger the aperture, the more fainter an object can be resolved from the night skies.

Edit* Jupiter is a brilliant site to behold at present. The weather bands are clearly visible. I've just had a quick peek over on the tube, look out for  jupiter in a Celestron C90 spotting scope by 762girl    thats not the image you want!

Edit* Jupiter is a brilliant site to behold at present. The weather bands are clearly visible. I've just had a quick peek over on the tube, look out for jupiter in a Celestron C90 spotting scope by 762girl thats not the image you want!

That's the funniest thing I've seen in a little while!! :)

Been looking at maybe purchasing a C90 Mak. For the price it looks like a nice little scope. Anyone have one of these and could offer a little input on whether or not this would be a good purchase? It should mount up on my mount.

Hi Matt,

Well, it seems you're definitely keen on getting another scope!

Have there been many objects you've tried to view with your Nextstar which you've been underwhelmed at seeing? If so, would be interesting to know what they are, as this might help with any recommendations on what new item will enhance your observing. Would be a shame to spend your hard earned on something that doesn't perform as well as what you already have.

Don't get me wrong, I know what it's like to just have a hankering to get something shiny and new. I'm absolutely certain you're going to, so hopefully we can assist in making sure it's a fruitful purchase.

Cheers,

Aaron

I lament the sale of a Skymax 90. Perhaps of all the scopes I have had, the "sharpest"!

Budget MAKs, despite their virtues, have aberrations which increase with aperture? :p

The first scope with which I resolved Epsilon Lyrae (The double-double)? Eventually, it

"ran out of light". But maybe a better budget alternative to e.g. (fast) 80mm Achromats.

102mm MAKs might even emulate Sir Patrick's fabled (slow) "Three Inch Refractor"? ;)

I was interested in this for a couple of reasons. 

1. It will attach to my current mount.

2. Smaller and more portable.

3. Terrestrial viewing.

From what ive read it does give decent views of the moon jupiter and saturn i fancy one myself to use as a long telephoto lens with my camera for wildlife etc.

I've got the Skywatcher version and when I bought it, I intended to use it as by lunar/planetary grab & go as well as daytime spotting scope. Something it does a pretty good job with. That was when my 6" was my main scope (now grab & go). However, most of the time I use the Mak as a white light solar scope with Baader Solar Safety Film. It's a nice little scope IMHO and to me, a keeper.

Archived