Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

ISS lunar transit predictions?

lukebl

Hi all,

Calsky tells me that there's a transit of the ISS across the moon at my location this weekend. I've captured it before with a whole-disc image, but would like to get in closer and zoom into a specific part of the lunar disc when it's transiting to get a bit more detail. The trouble is, I don't know precisely where it will cross.

Does anyone know of any software or website which will show its precise route across the lunar disk? Calsky is good for timings but seems a bit imprecise about the route: '.... in a clock-face concept, the satellite will seem to move toward 7:10..' which isn't precise enough for me.

Any ideas how I can find a map which shows the route across the face of the moon?

Hi Luke ,

If you scroll down a little there's an option for a 2 day map of transits , it shows the centre line of the transit shadow so you'll need to be on the line to catch it crossing the centre of the disc . 

If you zoom in on the map and click on the transit line it should show you the time of transit at that location,

The actual shadow is about 15km wide if I recall so depending where you are North or South of the centre line determines where you'll see the ISS on the disc . It's a case of guestimating how far up or down it'll cross but if you're North of the line it'll cross below centre and vice versa .

post-21219-0-00212000-1386881947_thumb.p

post-21219-0-42423400-1386881984_thumb.p

Thanks, Steve.

Yes, I know that you can easily determine the location of the centreline of the transit with Calsky, but I was looking for something which shows its actual path across the lunar disc, so that I can zoom in on a particular part of the moon to point the cam. I know there's an android app which does it. I can't recall the name of it, but I've got an IPhone and iPad anyway, so it's not much use to me. In any case, I'm not prepared to travel, as my kit is permanently fixed in the obs!

Thanks, Steve.

Yes, I know that you can easily determine the location of the centreline of the transit with Calsky, but I was looking for something which shows its actual path across the lunar disc, so that I can zoom in on a particular part of the moon to point the cam. I know there's an android app which does it. I can't recall the name of it, but I've got an IPhone and iPad anyway, so it's not much use to me. In any case, I'm not prepared to travel, as my kit is permanently fixed in the obs!

That sounds rather clever.  I've never heard of such an app so I hope someone else can remember what it is.

James

Hi Luke

In Calsky if the click on ISS next to the little graphic it takes you through to the telescope view options.

Mel

Great! Thanks for that. Hadn't noticed that bit of info on Calsky. Just what I was looking for.

Unfortunately, this weekend's transit is now not scheduled to happen, but I'll know where to look next time.

Archived