Added new filter to my EFW2 - what a palaver...

kirkster501

Seemingly simple thing to do to add my new Ha filter.  Until you get one of the little silver grub screws into an empty slot in the wheel of course..... :(  So I had to take the carousel out to get the grub screw out.  In doing so I dropped the silver bushes that press the carousel to the black outer casing on the floor!  So,amidst the paperwork and parts of PC's and Macbooks, books and paperwork that are all over my study floor I spent an hour searching for them, not actually knowing what i was searching for.  I put it all back together and rattle, rattle, rattle.  Hmmm, something not right here I says.  So take it apart and I am sure there is a spring loaded washer in there....  Another hour on the floor and I find it!  I still cannot find one of the silver grub screws....

So, be advised, be careful when adding filters!!  Ist simple, but watch where the grub screws go and don't tip the assembly upside down.

Question. Now I have had the carousel out, will it self-align again to the viewing aperture when I power it back up?

post-16295-0-65964200-1386856838_thumb.j

Thanks, Steve

The EFW2 does two rotations when it starts - first identifies the number of filter positions and then locates the first position.

Yes, I can confirm that is the case.  There is an optical sensor that determines the precise rotational position of the wheel.  Clever stuff.

My advice to anyone else is to take the grub screws out on a towel or something so if you drop something you can find it again!  

I usually just add/remove filters through the scope mounting hole.  I did later take the FW apart to see how it was made but I'm used to taking things with little screws apart so took care of the screws.  Have to say I was very impressed at the engineering in this filter wheel  :)   My home made ones are somewhat simpler :D

I agree that you need to take care if you do strip down the EFW2 but this should only be needed if you want to change carousels - a 54mm hole gives plenty of room to fit or remove a 1.25" screw in filter.  Could be more awkward with 2" filters though I guess but I haven't tried that size.

I usually just add/remove filters through the scope mounting hole.  

I am sure you have more slender fingers Gina where you can get access.  I have hands like a bunch of bananas - I cannot get the tips of my fingers in the aperture like that! :)

Nay bother, no harm done but did panic a little bit with the bits all over the floor.  Worse case I would have called Atik and asked them.

When dismantling things with tiny screws, particularly things with different length screws (not in this case) I use double sided Sellotape on a piece of paper and stick the screws onto the exposed sticky tape, labelling them if necessary.  This is what I do when dismantling DSLRs.  However, I still end up with the odd screw ending up on the carpet :D  Then a super magnet in its plastic box swept across the carpet will usually find it.  Magnets are Marvellous :D  Only works with steel screws though.

Archived