Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Sinus iridium? Please help me identify if this location is correct

From the 2 craters more or less in the middle just left of the shadow I would say you have highlighted Mere Serenitatis.

My map if upside down appears to match the image and that is what I get.

If so then Sinus Iridium is still in shadow.

Sort of the brown patch and head straight across into the darkness.

If I am correct (50/50 maybe less) then to the right of you highlighted patch is Mere Imbrium, still in shadow, and Sinus Iridium would be the lower right of portion Imbrium. So the last bit to be see before the full moon.

Sounds like we were both turning a moon map upside down and left to right. Damn confusing.

I ended up finding 2 craters to match the ones upper centre and decided they were Theophilus and Cyrillus then reading things upside down to work out the shaded area.

The Apollo 16 site should be on the terminator on the image.

Looks like Mare Serenitatis to me too. I think Sinus Iridium will be better visible tonight and tomorrow night. It's found in the northern part of the moon on the northern - NW-edge of Mare Imbrium. Get a map of the moon off the internet. You should find it.

When I first looked at the moon I thought yes this is amazing but didn't look at it as an actual location, then reading about the chinese moon landing in a few days I looked into it and couldn't work out whether I got bay of rainbows or not. But it totally changed my interest and made me aware of the actual place as something more than just the moon, its an object which can be defined into different sections and navigated just as you can navigate the earth. Amazing really. Thanks for your help guys. Next time I get my scope out I'll be looking at the moon in a totally different manner :)

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Archived