NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Nightmare Night

KyleStoke

Monday night has to have been one of the worst nights in my astrophotography life.

Everything that went wrong did, but worst of all my Atik 428ex was playing up, unable to connect to my pc, to say i was panicking would be an understatement. Id saved up a long time for it and it was only the second time i had chance to use it.

Today i had been thinking ill have to send it back to be checked over but when i got in from work i thought ill give it 1 more go,

it didn't work, i wiggled the wire a bit and it connected it was then i realised the mini usb wire looked a bit odd by the connector, tried a different wire and it worked :grin:

I'm not sure what the point of this thread is but i just wanted to express my relief and things are better after a kip

I had a night like that last week also! Spent day's getting my guiding together and working, focusing and checking.

Got in the warm all connected up and ran PHD2, nothing; could not find the camera when it did it would not lock on a

star etc... Really fed up, checked cables, connections etc and nothing! Switched laptop off to do some unguided and had

a thought! Rebooted and tried PHD1.4, within 8 minutes I was guiding!! Sorted but why should a newer (better?) program

cause so much hassle!! 

Anyway good nights (guided) photography after that!!

Cheers

Ron

Ron, i too have had them issues thats why i no longer update my software versions, i had a headache going to win 8, the version of eqdir i had would not work with win 8 but would with an older version which i found very strange, a more cynical person might suggest some form of mischief going on there ;-)

Had 1 last week I think it was, 1st time in ages I had a clear night so being new decided to do things properly and plan instead of 'winging' it in a point and fire fashion.

All setup up, scope cooled down I was wrapped up and the neighbour decided to light a fire next door at 11pm at night! I could not see a thing and stunk of smoke after as well

Been there as well. Whole nights of ASCOM problems but my two favourite foul ups were:

1. The night I set everything up for 5 min subs of m51 took 20 or so then realised I hadn't changed my camera to bulb mode so had 20 15s exposures...

2. This tops it all 20 or so 5 min subs of m31 only to realise that I'd left my bahtinov mask on...

Felt like an idiot but won't make those mistakes again ... Probably...

Archived