Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Planning stage

RobertC

This is my first observatory build so i'm just throwing my plan out there to see if people can help with improvements or possibly and faults. My plan is to use one of the spare sheds that is in my garden. I've got quite a good view with only one side pretty limited but that is the side towards the city so i'm at no loss really. The shed is due to be taken down and beefed up with stronger supports. Whilst the shed structure is beefed up i'm going to start with the instillation of the pier, i've got a good idea how i'm going to do this. North is well within sight and nothing that could prevent me from checking polar alignment every now and then. The shed at the moment already has a good power supply and lighting so power is no problem.

I've drawn up a quick plan to illustrate what my observatory to be like.

2ive1zt.png

-Rob

Hi Rob,

IMHO a width of 6ft could leave things a bit cramped, so worth making make sure that you can fit your setup into that space and that you'll have enough room to move about in.

Best of luck with the build.

Hi Rob,

IMHO a width of 6ft could leave things a bit cramped, so worth making make sure that you can fit your setup into that space and that you'll have enough room to move about in.

Best of luck with the build.

Yes the space is a little small, i'm trying to determine the best height for the pier. The scope once on its rings gives me 1.5 foot either side to its closest approach to the walls, I have no issue with climbing under the scope to get around to the other side but my bench work will be along one side where i will have my pc.

-Rob

If you can't make it wider since its already designed how about you add a small bump out or alcove that you can at least push all your computer stuff into. Will keep it from coming into the room and give you a bit more room.

If you can't make it wider since its already designed how about you add a small bump out or alcove that you can at least push all your computer stuff into. Will keep it from coming into the room and give you a bit more room.

I'm stuck to the shell of the shed sadly, the bench work will be out of the sphere of influence the scope has, i've not determined yet on where i will have the bench. There is a few ideas that i have such as a hinged section that passes across the doorway so it is completely out of the way where the keyboard/mouse will rest. The overall design i've still not truly set on but a roll on roof is the only way i can get the roof to be opened. I'm lucky i'm even allowed to use the shed and have a section for the roof to roll onto :)

-Rob

Stick your bench along one end away from the door, or in a a corner, the slewing of your scope will not mean you have to move then...if you don'e use it yet, download EQMod and get to grips with it, the wireless hand controller is a must, and the defined park option will allow the scope to be parked out of your way without losing alignment ect....

Stick your bench along one end away from the door, or in a a corner, the slewing of your scope will not mean you have to move then...if you don'e use it yet, download EQMod and get to grips with it, the wireless hand controller is a must, and the defined park option will allow the scope to be parked out of your way without losing alignment ect....

I've had EQMOD sat on my current pc for a while to try and fix a problem with my mount not slewing correctly. I'm aiming to have the scope further away from the door so i can have a little more room once i close the door. Once i finalize my plans from what others suggest and what i can actually do i shall start work on properly getting to grips with the software.

-Rob

Another thing you could do is move the pier soo its not dead center. As long as you have room to let the mount and scope swing around. As long as theres room there really no reason to have it in the center. Unless you need to have plenty of room all the way around.

Another thing you could do is move the pier soo its not dead center. As long as you have room to let the mount and scope swing around. As long as theres room there really no reason to have it in the center. Unless you need to have plenty of room all the way around.

Yes my plan is to have it as such, slightly further away to one side for more room. 

-Rob

Pier height is difficult to judge as it is connected to how tall you are and how high the shed walls are.

Different telescopes are used at different heights as well.

This is the most difficult problem I have come across, so I'm waiting until the shed is up and then use my scope, EQ5 and tripod to work out the correct height.

If you look around the obsy builds on here you will find others have had problems with pier height.

If the pier is too high then the roof may not close with the scope in the parked position.

Clear skies,

fondofchips.

Stick your bench along one end away from the door, or in a a corner, the slewing of your scope will not mean you have to move then...if you don'e use it yet, download EQMod and get to grips with it, the wireless hand controller is a must, and the defined park option will allow the scope to be parked out of your way without losing alignment ect...

Siting your PC in corner should help you make the most of the available space.

Pier height is difficult to judge as it is connected to how tall you are and how high the shed walls are.

Different telescopes are used at different heights as well.

This is the most difficult problem I have come across, so I'm waiting until the shed is up and then use my scope, EQ5 and tripod to work out the correct height.

If you look around the obsy builds on here you will find others have had problems with pier height.

If the pier is too high then the roof may not close with the scope in the parked position.

Clear skies,

fondofchips.

I should be able to get away with having the pier slightly higher as the roof isn't flat allowing me to tuck the scope into the peak of the roof. Most of the time will have my camera attached to the scope so i'm not going to be all that bothered about how to get to the eyepiece to observe. 

Pier height is going to take a while to determine the best and most suited height.

-Rob

Just had a go at working on the height for the pier, the scope and the mount sat at home is 3ft high ( base of mount to highest point of the scope). The height of the roof at its peak is 6ft, i intend to leave room between the scope and roof. So i am looking at around a pier of around 2.5 ft max. The walls of the shed are 5ft high, pier and scope height is 5.5ft so i'm wondering if i should go for a 2ft pier as there isn't much to see from the horizon point other than roofs of houses from where i am. 

I have drawn another illustration to show how the scope would fit into the layout. 

25sx3x2.png

What would people suggest, 2ft or 2.5ft pier. How much of a foundation am i looking at for such ?

-Rob

I should be able to get away with having the pier slightly higher as the roof isn't flat allowing me to tuck the scope into the peak of the roof. Most of the time will have my camera attached to the scope so i'm not going to be all that bothered about how to get to the eyepiece to observe. 

Pier height is going to take a while to determine the best and most suited height.

-Rob

The yellow arrow is quoting the height from the scope to the peak of the roof. 

-Rob

My Obs is a shed of the same size. I have to do some scope limbo at times to get in and out! I put the workbench and PC in the back corner and moved the scope position nearer the door to give a 6 by 6 operating area. My longest scope sometimes scrapes the corner of the desk so i have to remember to keep an eye out!

I think if you work out the height of the EP when going straight up then make this your eye height so you won't need any thing to stand on, this would be one less item on the floor to trip over....

I hadn't thought of doing that, if i take into account the height from where i am stood looking into the eyepiece the mount will have to be sat on a 2.5ft pier. I've been looking around at mounting the mount to the pier and i've come across this method of using break discs from cars. Seems quite a reasonable way to mount it to the pier. What would be the recommended depth/width for the pier to sit in regarding a foundation ?

http://www.philchris.co.uk/pier.htm#True North

My Obs is a shed of the same size. I have to do some scope limbo at times to get in and out! I put the workbench and PC in the back corner and moved the scope position nearer the door to give a 6 by 6 operating area. My longest scope sometimes scrapes the corner of the desk so i have to remember to keep an eye out!

The scope has around 1.5ft either side so i'm fairly skinny so i can fit past it or under it without brushing it. The benchwork i'm going to work on once i have the pier location set and where i can best put an area to work at.

-Rob

You could go for a Skywatcher Pier they sit on the ground or just level with it and then get covered in sand/shingle or even use cement to cover it and hold it in place, provided it does not touch the Obby floor so you movement doesn't make the pier vibrate..

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/skywatcher-mounts/skywatcher-pillar-mount-support-for-heq5-eq6-series-mounts.html

You could go for a Skywatcher Pier they sit on the ground or just level with it and then get covered in sand/shingle or even use cement to cover it and hold it in place, provided it does not touch the Obby floor so you movement doesn't make the pier vibrate..

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/skywatcher-mounts/skywatcher-pillar-mount-support-for-heq5-eq6-series-mounts.html

I simply don't have enough to buy a pre-made pier that's why i am going for a concrete pier.

-Rob

I simply don't have enough to buy a pre-made pier that's why i am going for a concrete pier.

-Rob

I went the wood route, 3' 6" in the ground piece of Oak cost £40 plus a £3 bag of pea shingle,made the top plate out of oak as well, seems stable but i don't image so for me its ok.....

DSC_9839.jpg

The black peg has been replaced with a 8mm coach screw that goes right through and sawn off wear it came through....

DSC_9849.jpg

I went the wood route, 3' 6" in the ground piece of Oak cost £40 plus a £3 bag of pea shingle,made the top plate out of oak as well, seems stable but i don't image so for me its ok.....

DSC_9839.jpg

The black peg has been replaced with a 8mm coach screw that goes right through and sawn off wear it came through....

DSC_9849.jpg

I'm not sure either how well wood would work for imaging, every imaging setup i've seen has been either metal or concrete. The wood comes out at the same cost of the cement bags would roughly for my pier. I'm trying to keep costs low as i have the prices for the rails/wheels for the roof but i have to strengthen the shed itself and do some repairs to the cladding which at the moment is the largest drain on my already little supply.

-Rob

I've been pondering about extending the length of the shed by around 2 ft so i can house an area that would be walled off and have the roof section still above it where i can have the computer and some warmth.

-Rob

It would be a bonus, i never built in a separate room but the rear wall has the uprights built in and there's 3' of space right across the back i think i will add the room so the PC isn't out in the open, something for next summer, tonight its 37f outside so not to bad but did require thermals....and that bit of sheltered space would be nice....

A warm room (or even warm "space" makes an enormous difference even if you can control your obsy PC from indoors :)   There are times when you need to be near but not actually at, the scope.  Unless you have absolutely everything remote controlled :D

Archived