Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

can anyone remember what Hale Bopp looked like through a telescope?

tenbyfifty

To me it looked like a pearl lightbulb with a small nucleus similar to the element, Several "bow waves" were also evident. It was a great and prolonged sight with the naked eye, binoculars or telescope.   :smiley:

Absolutely. Best comet in my lifetime (so far, "I ATEN'T DEAD", to quote Granny Weatherwax)

I remember seeing it through my spotting scope as my Sears refractor was buried in deep storage.  :tongue:

It was the best Comet I have seen in my lifetime too. I seem to recall there was a cult in which the members

committed suicide believing they were going to ride along with the Comet to nirvana; they even wore

new tennis shoes for the trip.  :rolleyes:

Edit: Don't know if they made it, did anyone get a card ?

I remember seeing it through my spotting scope as my Sears refractor was buried in deep storage.  :tongue:

It was the best Comet I have seen in my lifetime too. I seem to recall there was a cult in which the members

committed suicide believing they were going to ride along with the Comet to nirvana; they even wore

new tennis shoes for the trip.  :rolleyes:

Edit: Don't know if they made it, did anyone get a card ?

oh yeah i forgot about them

Heaven's Gate cult

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heaven's_Gate_(religious_group)

Archived