Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Low cost tracking mount?

nvchad2

The mount I currently have for my reflector telescope isn't motorised at all and because of this I can't really use it for photographing anything except our bright moon.

I was wondering if someone could help me find a new mount. My budget is only like $200 or $250, but I'm not looking for the best of anything. I just want to be able to track the sky for a few minutes at a time. I've tried searching around for mounts but everything is way more expensive than I can afford. And maybe my expectations are unrealistic, I just dont know. Im still really new to this stuff so I figured the experts here could weigh in on my options.

I've already got a DSLR and a webcam, I just have no way to use them really. Any input on my predicament would be greatly appreciated.

As you are in Virginia I doubt the Harrison offering is relevant. :grin: :grin: :grin:

What mount have you at present?

Wondering if it is equitorial and therefore can you attach motors.

The lowest cost I could see was a Celestron EQ mount at $269, BUT no motors, I would guess motors would be an additional $100 to $120. (Astronomics). The mount shown looks fairly solid, EQ5 like, so there may somewhere be the equivalent of an EQ3 elsewhere, these are less cost.

The alternative is to look round and wait for something on the used market. No idea how often they appear on the US market however I would expect they appear fairly often. I have no idea of any site in the US for used, but think there are a couple.

You can get an EQ2 from http://www.telescope.com $200, then fit an RA motor to allow some tracking.

The mount is not that solid and will only take a single motor - there is no option to fit a Dec drive.

Would not really recommend it as the mount is too light and the result would be possible tracking for 30-60 seconds. The Orion CG-4 at $269 plus adding drives seems a better overall option, the mount and drives would be usable for a few years if not longer.

My DIY is great.  If I have the materials, tools, and the instructions, I can build anything.  I've built guns, computers, many household items, just depends on what I need.  Looking at the instructions it doesn't seem impossible.  Just seems like a lengthy project.  Might be worth a shot though!  :)

have you looked at one of these you can put your camera on it via a angled bracket   http://www.harrisontelescopes.co.uk/acatalog/SkyWatcher_SupaTrak_Mount___Tripod.html regards dobbie.

I think it would be possible but I don't think my current telescope bracket could mount into that.  But I don't know for sure. I'll have a lookwhen I get home.  Could always buy a different bracket if I had to I guess.

What mount have you at present?

Wondering if it is equitorial and therefore can you attach motors.

Using the standard mount that it came with.  A very basic alt az mount.  No way of attaching motors as far as I can tell.

I like that option and could stretch it if I saved for a while, but I want something so that I can use my telescope and not just the camera.  But its definitely an option that I'll consider.

Thanks to everyone for the quick responses.  I feel a little better now knowing that there ARE options, even if they're still slightly out of my budget.  Feel free to keep going with suggestions as I'm looking for everything I can get.

Hi,

As you are based in the USA, have you looked at Oceaside in CA?

I know its well outside your budget, but for imaging, the mount is just so important.

Take a look at this link, it is over $100 above your posted limit, but I have read good reports about Ioptron, though have never owned one.

With the computer control, it looks like a lot of Bang for your Buck..

http://www.optcorp.com/ioptron-smarteq-portable-goto-german-equatorial-mount.html

Good luck.

Gordon.

Hi,

As you are based in the USA, have you looked at Oceaside in CA?

I know its well outside your budget, but for imaging, the mount is just so important.

Take a look at this link, it is over $100 above your posted limit, but I have read good reports about Ioptron, though have never owned one.

With the computer control, it looks like a lot of Bang for your Buck..

http://www.optcorp.com/ioptron-smarteq-portable-goto-german-equatorial-mount.html

Good luck.

Gordon.

Wow.  I like that.  I would definitely be happy with something like that.  I just wish things weren't so expensive!  I'll have to go back to the calculator and see how far I can stretch things.  Might have to sell some stuff but I definitely want a new mount.  The sky isn't going anywhere and I'll be able to use this stuff well into the future, unlike other things I own.  Thanks!

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/slt-series/skywatcher-l-bracket-dovetail.html this is the bracket you need ,for a low cost option to get into dso with the mount http://www.harrisontelescopes.co.uk/acatalog/SkyWatcher_SupaTrak_Mount___Tripod.html i will take 20/30sec shots then you can stack them and get some basic shots  other than that you need a eq mount , ioptron tracker, or astrotrack thats when the money goes up, both these products will be available from other outlets. :grin:  :grin:

If I were to up my budget to $350 or $400, what would you recommend then?  I've decided the credit card would be happier if I fed it a little something instead of just shunning it in the back of the wallet, all alone . . .  :grin:

Is anyone familiar with the iOptron SmartEQ (http://www.optcorp.com/ioptron-smarteq-portable-goto-german-equatorial-mount.html) that Gordon mentioned?  Is it worth the price or should I look for something different?

What about the SkyWatcher SupaTrack (http://www.harrisontelescopes.co.uk/acatalog/SkyWatcher_SupaTrak_Mount___Tripod.html) that Dobbie suggested?

What about the Celestron NexStar SLT mounts? (http://www.celestron.com/astronomy/series/nexstar-slt-series-computerized-telescopes/?cat=14)

There are just too many options and I know that I will be stuck with whatever I buy for a long time, so I want to take my time and make a good decision.  If YOU had $400 to spend on an equatorial mount, and it was to be your primary mount, what would you choose?

Hi, again,

your "problem" is you are looking to track for imaging, rather than for observing.

The Skywatcher and Celestron SLT mounts are both Alt-Az, so, when following the Earths' rotation, will make rotated images on the camera. This is probably OK for very short exposures, but as soon as you try for more challenging targets, the field rotation will be a problem.

As I said, I have never used the IOptron, but it is a tracking mount and once polar aligned should give you  fighting chance of keeping the stars round.

I took a second look at my suggestion and cannot see a guide port. This is useful later, should you look to image long single sub-frames So, without this, the mount would limit your exposures to say a couple of minutes max per sub, depending on loads of things, such as good setting up, scope focal length, the mount performance and also your own standards and expectations!

I would really recommend you phone OPT; I have called them and on one occasoin, they advised me not to purchase something, because they didn't think it would work for me. A big credit for integrity there. Hopefully, someone else here can discuss the IOptron mount, but even if you did increase your budget to $500 or so, your options for an imaging-capable mount still remain low.

Not sure if I am really helping a lot...

Gordon.

Hi, again,

your "problem" is you are looking to track for imaging, rather than for observing.

The Skywatcher and Celestron SLT mounts are both Alt-Az, so, when following the Earths' rotation, will make rotated images on the camera. This is probably OK for very short exposures, but as soon as you try for more challenging targets, the field rotation will be a problem.

As I said, I have never used the IOptron, but it is a tracking mount and once polar aligned should give you  fighting chance of keeping the stars round.

I took a second look at my suggestion and cannot see a guide port. This is useful later, should you look to image long single sub-frames So, without this, the mount would limit your exposures to say a couple of minutes max per sub, depending on loads of things, such as good setting up, scope focal length, the mount performance and also your own standards and expectations!

I would really recommend you phone OPT; I have called them and on one occasoin, they advised me not to purchase something, because they didn't think it would work for me. A big credit for integrity there. Hopefully, someone else here can discuss the IOptron mount, but even if you did increase your budget to $500 or so, your options for an imaging-capable mount still remain low.

Not sure if I am really helping a lot...

Gordon.

Everything helps.  I'm learning a lot just by reading what everyone has to say.  From what I've read in other threads, it looks like the cheapest mount being recommended is about $1000 new.  And I'm really having trouble finding sites for the US that sell used equipment.  I'll definitely keep looking and hopefully i'll find something.

I like the idea of phoning them so I may do that next week.  That iOptron is really at the top of my limit.  Not really any place around here where I could sell myself on the street for some extra cash either . . .  :grin:

But, there again, when I was on a photography forum asking what DSLR to buy, everyone said Sony was junk.  And while it definitely isn't a Canon or anything close, it has exceeded my expectations around every turn and performs better than I can manage at my skill level.  It was also considerably less expensive than comparable Canons.  Maybe I could get by with a cheaper mount, same as I did with the camera.  After all, tracking of any kind is a huge step up from my current set up . . .

Been studying some of my options a little more and it looks like the SmartEQ PRO does have a guide port.  Also comes with metal gears and a polar scope.  $449.

http://www.telescopes.com/telescope-accessories/mounts-and-tripods/ioptronsmarteqproportablegotoequatorialmount.cfm

The reviews (that I could find - Not many out there for this mount) on these things seem to be all over the place.  Half the users seem to get defective products or have loads of issues, while other people claim to love the mount.  I'm sure a lot of it has to do with expectations and past experience, but I've never seen a product with so many mixed reviews.  One thing most of the people agree on however is that iOptron support is excellent.  Many have returned defective items and had them repaired really quickly.  I personally contacted iOptron and OPT Corp about the SmartEQ mount on Friday evening.  OPT Corp has yet to respond but iOptron tech support responded in under 12 hours (on a Saturday) with loads of information for me.  Definitely a plus for the mount.  I assumed OPT Corp would respond quicker than the manufacturer, so I was pleasantly surprised.  Dealing with difficult companies can make even the best product feel like a terrible purchase and it doesn't look like iOptron falls into that category.

Anyway, still looking for input if anyone is interested.  Just helps me think through my decisions by posting it all here . . .

Go to cloudy nights classifieds.

You should be able to get a used Celestron CG5 AS GT for $400. That is the best mount you can get for under $500 and it has GoTo.

You can also get a Vixen Polaris used under $200. But it has no motors (they are an add on). Motors for Vixens are expensive because its Japan. The Celestron stuff is China.

argh! do not buy that thing!  I had one, it's terrible. A Vixen Polarie or iOptron Skytracker would be a much better choice.

I agree its not as good as a polarie but theres a couple of threads on 5 min subs taken on this and it is cheap

Thanks everyone.  I've definitely got some checking around to do.  I think I've decided to wait until after Christmas to make a decision.  Maybe then there will be a better selection of used mounts out there.

The suggestions you all have given me are very helpful and I really do appreciate it.

having reread the threads I believe the eq1 was guided to get 5 min subs with a short lens  but short exposures can give decent results http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/144635-eq1-or-eq2-wmotors-ok-for-slr-photography/

be that as it may, i have had two.

on both of them the worm blocks cracked.

on one of them the worm wheel itself cracked. cheap pot metal.

worst use of $200 ($100 per mount) I've ever had. at least the motor drive off one got repurposed to drive a Vixen Polaris. ("s" not "e") now that's a mount well worth having.. I regret selling mine.

Archived