Newbie asking some telescope advices

Hello everyone!

When I was a kid, I had a cheap telescope and didn't see a lot. Still got me excited :)

Now I'm finally thinking of getting a decent scope to see planets, galaxies etc for the first time in my own eyes!

So, I have been thinking of getting this: http://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p2493_Skywatcher-Skyliner-150P---Classic-6--f-8-parabolic-Dobsonian.html

I live in Finland, a bit light polluted area (cannot see the milky way) and also my cabin is in the middle of forest, far away from light pollution. I would be using the scope on both. I'm also interested in doing some photography - I have a Canon EOS 600d.

Now my question is, do you have some better scope in mind to get as a first one, or is this good enough to start and use for a couple of years (without needing quite soon to upgrade to a better one...) ? What kind of accessories would you recommend to start with? My price top is 350 euros, so with that I would like to get a scope, recommened eye piece and adapter for my camera.

Thanks a bunch for helpers! :)

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mizuko...........Hi, welcome to SGL. Thats a great scope, but as the aperture increases, so does the ability to see fainter things from your darker site. The 8" (200P) is very good  telescope, and they get larger too. This telescope is best used primarily for visual observation, the  Dobsonian mount is a breeze to use. Astro photography requires more dedicated tripod mounts that are motorised to track objects while you photograph. This book is always recommended  http://www.firstlightoptics.com/books/making-every-photon-count-steve-richards.html Feel free to ask more questions. There are more astronomers here  that carry out  photography , and more knowledgeable on the subject. The Explorer version can be EQ( EQuatorially Mounted for Astro-photography, but others here will be along soon with their advice)

The 150P dob should be an excellent scope for visual use, but really unsuited to most imaging.

Given the budget you have I'd say that you might be better off forgetting about imaging for the time being.  Enjoy the visual astronomy and take your time to learn what's required to achieve what you might want in terms of imaging and how you might be able to get to that point.

James

Hi Mizuko, and welcome to the forum.  The 150mm dobsonian is a good telescope to start with, for visual astronomy only.  It will come with everything you need to get started in the hobby.  As regards astrophotography, the 150mm dobsonian will NOT suit your purpose, you may be able to do some webcam imaging with it of stuff like the Moon, but that's all.  You need to decide what your main prioruty is, visual or photography.  If it is photography you will need to reconsider the type of scope and mount, and also your budget.  Scopes and mounts for astrophtography are very expensive. But as a visual only scope, I highly recommend it.

Thank you for your quick responses and great advices. Maybe since I am a starter, I will forget about the photography at this time and start with visual.

I suspect the astrophotography is something you will have to practice quite a lot and I would not have the necessary skill as a newbie...So thank you for the advice and getting my head off from the clouds ;)

I will start with this one and see how my own skills improve with this dobsonian and after that come to ask some new advices.

More advices are most welcome, of course!

What webcam would you recommend for this scope? If I would start to practise at some point with the moon....

And at this point you recommend not to get any extra lenses or other accessories yet?

Unfortunately I cant read the advert However I have a Celestron 127EQ and its not too dissimilar. I feel you will regret the purchase! You would be better with the 130 that you selected first, however, its still early days yet. Took me over 2 Months to understand telescopes,  then I decided to join this forum to understand what I need and why. Take your time. Any of the Newtonian type telescopes, can be adapted for daylight photography, night time is different as the light levels are not available, plus the Dobsonian DOES NOT TRACK! you have to manually move the telescope about. If your wanting to do Astro-photography, you will need a bigger budget. To be honest, the most important piece of equipment  is the tripod mount and can cost several times more than the telescope itself.

Thank you Charic! Like I said earlier, I think for now I will forget about the photography and maybe try a webcam at the most. Maybe after I get the hang of it and know whether or not I'm cut out to sit in the cold nights of Finlands winter and gaze the stars I will know if I should even consider the astrophotography and the more expensive equipment :)

I would still maybe ask an advice, since I am open for options... :D

If I would like to prioritise on astrophotography, what kind of set would you recommend for a starter? Getting some nice photos of the planets and MAYBE of some DSO's?

Because I know that if I get really into this, I will want the scope on which this would be possible and maybe rather save up a couple of hunderd bucks more for it than buying a whole new scope etc... Maybe a a price range of max 400e (500$).

Bare with me :D Thanks guys!

Visual, planetary imaging and DSO imaging are probably best treated as three different things to be honest.  The "preferred" kit for each is likely to be very different.

As a beginner wanting to use a scope visually and do some planetary imaging I'd probably say that the Skywatcher Skymax 127 SynScan AZ GOTO would be a good choice.  If you wanted to do DSO imaging with it too (and it's not ideal for this purpose, though it is quite possible if you stick to small, bright targets) then the same scope on an equatorial mount might work well enough for you (either the EQ3-2 Synscan, or the standard EQ3-2 with aftermarket motors).  It's also possible to use the same scope for lunar imaging and for solar imaging with a suitable filter.  If you look through the planetary, lunar, solar and DSO imaging sections of this site you'll find a fair few postings I've made of images created using just such a telescope.  I'd suggest getting a better finder than is supplied with the scope as the telescope's narrow field of view makes it tricky to work out where you are in the sky.  It is a compromise.  There are telescopes (and mounts) that are better for visual or better for planetary imaging, or better for DSO imaging, but this is the closest thing I can think of to a low-cost all-rounder that I can think of.

If you can get a copy of the book "Making Every Photon Count" as that covers a lot of detail about DSO imaging.  It's well worth reading before you start spending money on kit.

I'm still inclined to think that it's better to go for a visual-only dobsonian initially, but only you can really decide what's best for you :)

(A plus point for planetary viewing and imaging is that it is quite possible in a light polluted area -- you don't really need a dark site.)

James

What are the Skywatcher 150pds scopes like?

Are they ok for visual being 150p and ok for basic photos if you motorise the EQ mount they can come on?

Perhaps a compromise on planets as shorter focal length but not narrow fov?

I am not too sure about the 150PDS but there was a big conversation on this thread http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/200689-ed80-for-imaging-why/ about about how good the 130PDS is, and it has a couple of images from the 130 so I guess that would give you an idea of what's possible.

Mizuko, if you are dead set on getting something to try some imaging on your budget have you considered a SW 130PDS on an EQ-3 mount, fitted with a motor it would be possible to get the planets and moon, and maybe even get some bright DSO's ? Then if you decide to go further you could upgrade the mount and still use the same scope.

The mount and tube come in just under your budget (but since you are in Finland you may be able to source it cheaper elsewhere).

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/reflectors/skywatcher-explorer-130p-ds-ota.html

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/skywatcher-mounts/skywatcher-eq3-2-deluxe.html

Someone may come along and shoot this suggestion out of the water, I have never used the EQ-3 but am aware it is not the sturdiest of mounts, but with the 130PDS on it I don't see why it wouldn't be capable of getting some images with a webcam attached. I managed images of Saturn with a Celestron 127 on an EQ-1, they were rubbish but I was delighted with them.

If I was desperate to try imaging on your budget that is the kind of set up I may consider, I wouldn't even consider a Dob if I had the slightest urge to do some imaging.

Hope this hasn't confused you any more!

Thanks Helite!

I actually just started a new topic on which would be better - 130p with goto or a 150p with a EQ5.

I would like to have nice visuals and also start to practice photography with it. So thank you for the answer! :)

Yeah just seen your other post, and if I was going to make the choice between the 2 scopes it would be the 150p on the EQ3. If you have imaging in mind you really need to be looking at EQ mounts.

As for GOTO, I love it, its great, and I would have it every time, but it is expensive and deemed by some as unnecessary, I wouldn't be without it, but you may be happy without.

I suggested the 130PDS on the EQ-3 as I thought it would be less demanding on a light mount like the EQ-3 than a 150. But if the option that suits your budget is the 150p on the EQ-3 mount then so be it, you have to make the best with what suits you, and it leaves you a hundred Euro or so to buy the tracking motor for it.

Whatever you buy just remember to have fun with it, its easy to get overloaded with all this information and equipment and overlook the pleasure of looking into the universe! 

Thank you for the advice! I am also leaning towards the 150p and I can buy the goto for it later, after getting to know the scope and trying out maybe photographing the moon etc.

And yes, a lot of information, but all is welcome! :)

My gut feeling is that the 150P would be too much for imaging with the EQ3-2, but it would be better to talk to someone who has tried it.

There are a few different ways to go with the EQ3-2 mounts.  You can get the standard model which comes without motors.  Motors are available as an addon. but they won't do GOTO.  They just allow you to track objects after finding them really.  Them there's the EQ3-2 Synscan GOTO.  That has GOTO (obviously) and will track, but it's quite a bit more expensive.  It is possible to buy a GOTO upgrade kit for the base level EQ3-2. but if you already have the EQ3-2 I think (in the UK market, at least) it's more sensible to sell the low-end mount and replace it with a new one.  There's very little difference in price.

James

Thanks James! My bad, was supposed to write tracking :) But yeah. I would also need to think that do I need the goto. On the other hand, it would be nice to find the objects by myself, but on the other, if there is -20C, it would be nice to have a goto and just focus on observing etc... Hard decisions! :)

I thought the point of the pds was so that dslr cameras could better reach focus as the secondary mirror is mounted closer to the primary, so a 150p is not the same as a 150pds when it comes to using your dslr which is what Mizuko said was desireable at the start.

Thanks James! My bad, was supposed to write tracking :) But yeah. I would also need to think that do I need the goto. On the other hand, it would be nice to find the objects by myself, but on the other, if there is -20C, it would be nice to have a goto and just focus on observing etc... Hard decisions! :)

If it's -20C perhaps you need to get really heavily into imaging, set the kit up and work remotely from a warm cabin :)

On a serious note, it's perhaps worth checking that any electronic bits you're buying will work at -20C.  A lot of things are not guaranteed to work at that sort of temperature.  I can understand how they feel :)

James

What are the Skywatcher 150pds scopes like?

Are they ok for visual being 150p and ok for basic photos if you motorise the EQ mount they can come on?

Perhaps a compromise on planets as shorter focal length but not narrow fov?

They work just fine for both IMHO. It was my main visual scope (now grab & go) and using a DSLR in prime focus works a treat as well. Although I've only done some very basic lunar photography this way just for the fun of it. After all, I'm primarily into visual astronomy, but like to snap the odd lunar or solar pic once in a while.

Archived