SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Celestron Starsense on Nexstar 127 MAK

tekkydave

I had my own reserve in buying, as I wanted to learn how to "play the scope" with my hands, rather than to rely on technology...

But, i did it and i will never regret it.

First thing to do when you get, it is connect to your PC and run a full software upgrade.

Get the mount on polar setup and in horizontal level position.

Swap the handhelds, as you will get a new one and make sure the GPS location source setup is the GPS.

Power the mount and wait for the GPS to get local time and date and the GPS location.

Validate if those values are valid, sometimes takes longer and you started the setup...mine,about 2-3 minute to get full GPS lock

Setup "auto" mode,let it run for 3-5 minutes then do a manual setup on a well known identifiable star, same as above post.

After all this...its bringing the requested resource (star/planet/dso) in the middle of the eye piece.

Enjoy it.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had my own reserve in buying, as I wanted to learn how to "play the scope" with my hands, rather than to rely on technology...

But, i did it and i will never regret it.

First thing to do when you get, it is connect to your PC and run a full software upgrade.

Get the mount on polar setup and in horizontal level position.

Swap the handhelds, as you will get a new one and make sure the GPS location source setup is the GPS.

Power the mount and wait for the GPS to get local time and date and the GPS location.

Validate if those values are valid, sometimes takes longer and you started the setup...mine,about 2-3 minute to get full GPS lock

Setup "auto" mode,let it run for 3-5 minutes then do a manual setup on a well known identifiable star, same as above post.

After all this...its bringing the requested resource (star/planet/dso) in the middle of the eye piece.

Enjoy it.

Thanks for that, will let you know how i get on.

• 6 months later...

Hi All I have a Celestron 127 MAK vurrently going to be scrapping the WiFI Q unit , and get a GPS , will this work with my starsense ?

at the moment I have my starsense pluged into the AUX port and the handset plugged into my handset port , leaving me with no free ports , would I need a splitter or can I use the port in the GPS ? I see it has two spare ports from pictures

thanks again   regards Matt

Hi Dave - 

I'm yet another with the Nexstar 127 SLT Mak.  Maybe we should start our own sub-group!?  I note your comments with interest, only having had mine since November.  I've not had much trouble aligning it, and anyway, once near a target, the 9x50 finderscope helps you see more detail then compare it with a chart or Stellarium so you home right in on what you want with the EP.  (My least powerful is a Revelation 32mm - x47; 1.11 deg of field.)  

# Bearing this in mind, do you reckon the Starsense would be of any great advantage to me?

# And do you ever update the HC? I see you have what looks like an RS232/USB cable.  Can you just connect it to the PC, or does it need software?

Thanks for any help.  

BTW, I like the 'scope - plus 6 EPs, a power pack, an RDF, and the finder mentioned before.  

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

Aligning the camera and Mak should be covered in the Starsense setup instructions.  (Page 12 of the printed handbook).

I imagine there are Supatrak owners who will be interested to know if Starsense works with their unit. A potential value for money upgrade. :happy11: 

Archived