Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Celestron Starsense on Nexstar 127 MAK

tekkydave

The SS comes with good documentation but doesn't include a menu layout diagram so here is one I put together. The details of each function and options available are all in the SS manual.

Menu

|

+-- Database Setup

| |

| +-- SkyTour Filters

| +-- Catalog Filters

| +-- Identify Filters

| +-- Allow Sun

|

+-- Telescope

| |

| +-- Tracking Rate

| +-- Setup

| | |

| | +-- Slew Limits

| | +-- Goto Approach

| | +-- Guide Rates

| | +-- Direction Buttons

| | +-- Backlash Comp.

| |

| +-- Cordwrap

| +-- Set Axis Position

| +-- Hibernate

|

+-- StarSense Camera

| |

| +-- Get Status

| +-- Calibrate

| +-- Reset AIS Camera

|

+-- Time and Location

| |

| +-- View/Mod Time

| +-- View/Mod Location (Use Celestron button to switch between City & Lon/Lat)

| +-- Time/Loc Source

|

+-- View/Goto Pos.

| |

| +-- Ra / Dec

| +-- Axis Position

|

+-- Hand Control

|

+-- Get Version Info

+-- Backlight

+-- Lcd Contrast

+-- User Profiles

| |

| +-- Load

| +-- Save

|

+-- Restore Defaults

Of course all the above is © Celestron.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

I was considering getting a SkySync accessory as well. Would I need to get a port splitter too as the StarSense is occupying the AUX port on the mount?

Update: I have since got the SkySync accessory and the port splitter isn't needed as it has a HC port on it. I plug the SkySync into the HC port on the mount and the HC into the socket on the SkySync.

The SkySync also works very well. All I had to do was go into the HC menu and change the Time/Location source to GPS.

A public firmware release is now available for the Starsense at: http://software.celestron.com/updates/CFM/CFM/

Paul.

Thanks Paul, I have downloaded and updated this afternoon.

Versions installed are now:

CFM = 1.7.3325

StarSense HC Bootloader = 2.0.3326

StarSense HC Firmware = 1.10.14008

StarSense Camera Firmware = 1.02.13343

Takes about 5 -10 mins to connect up and run. The instructions include a connection diagram showing how to connect the StarSense Camera to your PC. Presumably it can't be updated via the PC Connection to the HC/Mount

post-28249-0-01848400-1393861042_thumb.j

I'm planning to get outside tonight and use it it anger to get some video of Jupiter with my (as yet unused) ZWO ASI120MC camera. I keep accumulating gear - now's the time to start using it :grin:

Well I managed to get out last night and take some videos of Jupiter. It was very clear and also cold. I'll post some images when I get time to do the processing. I had a panic with the Starsense at first though. It was finding lots of stars and solving the images but when it came to the final calculation it was saying it couldn't get an accurate alignment. After re-trying several times I noticed it wasn't slewing higher than about 30 degrees above horizontal. Then I realised what I had done. I purchased a skysync gps accessory a few weeks ago and had strapped it to the arm of the mount (as recommended by someone else on SGL, can't remember who). The buckle on the strap was catching the rotating part of the mount (altitude axis) and stopping it from rotating all the way round. Doh! After removing the strap it aligned in about 4 mins. I think I will strap the gps accessory to the leg of the mount as recommended by Celestron in future. Oh well - live and learn.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Hi Tekkydave i am a new astrouser, i have see that you use the StarSense on Mak 127 SLT, my actual Telescope. I have attached to my scope GPS kit and Sky-q wifi kit. I need a suggestion if possible, i have think to purchase Starsense to improve accuracy of position of mi scope, but i have a doubt, normally i use my scope from a balcony where i see 180 degrees of sky. I see West, part of Sud-West and part of Nord-West. My question is: If i use Starsense, cam try to search object always from east ? because on this case, it find a wall of my home ! :-(  

Or Starsense try to search only object from west, sud-west and nord-west like i do now manually ? 

Sorry for my poor english and thanks for eventual reply. :-)

Hi Tekkydave i am a new astrouser, i have see that you use the StarSense on Mak 127 SLT, my actual Telescope. I have attached to my scope GPS kit and Sky-q wifi kit. I need a suggestion if possible, i have think to purchase Starsense to improve accuracy of position of mi scope, but i have a doubt, normally i use my scope from a balcony where i see 180 degrees of sky. I see West, part of Sud-West and part of Nord-West. My question is: If i use Starsense, cam try to search object always from east ? because on this case, it find a wall of my home ! :-(  

Or Starsense try to search only object from west, sud-west and nord-west like i do now manually ? 

Sorry for my poor english and thanks for eventual reply. :-)

Hello and welcome to SGL. The Starsense accessory has 2 modes of operation:

Auto: It chooses which area of the sky to look to find stars. Even with some obstructions it should still work - it will just take longer.

Manual: It will let you slew the scope to areas of the sky which are not obstructed. The latest release of the firmware will also let you store these areas in the controller so it remembers next time.

So it should work for you. I use mine fairly close to my house so it can only see half of the sky and it works fine. It usually aligns the mount in about 4 minutes.

Good luck.

Hello and welcome to SGL. The Starsense accessory has 2 modes of operation:

Auto: It chooses which area of the sky to look to find stars. Even with some obstructions it should still work - it will just take longer.

Manual: It will let you slew the scope to areas of the sky which are not obstructed. The latest release of the firmware will also let you store these areas in the controller so it remembers next time.

So it should work for you. I use mine fairly close to my house so it can only see half of the sky and it works fine. It usually aligns the mount in about 4 minutes.

Good luck.

Well, another little quearion, but i don't know if you can reply, i see that starsense have an extra keyboard. But i have sky-q wifi adapter that i use instead of native keyboard, i hope that celestron guys have to think this mode .... or not [emoji54] in theory all will have to work. You konow anithing about before purchase ?

The item on Italy is very expensive 389.00 euros [emoji20] before purchase i have to understand if really improve station and finding of object.

Sorry to take advantage of your patience, but from what I bought the telescope that I have the doubt for a mechanical not functioning perfectly right. I was asked to celestron Italy that U.S., but they tell me this is not the regular perfect tracking some items to the Zenith, in the sense that aligning myself well is not centered in the eyepieces from 25mm but they appear at the edges of the eyepieces. So I have to understand. Yes other objet not at the Zenith appear near the center of eyepieces.

I would not have been waiting for the expiration of the guarantee [emoji27]

Hi

Well, another little quearion, but i don't know if you can reply, i see that starsense have an extra keyboard. But i have sky-q wifi adapter that i use instead of native keyboard, i hope that celestron guys have to think this mode .... or not [emoji54] in theory all will have to work. You konow anithing about before purchase ?

The item on Italy is very expensive 389.00 euros [emoji20] before purchase i have to understand if really improve station and finding of object.

Sorry to take advantage of your patience, but from what I bought the telescope that I have the doubt for a mechanical not functioning perfectly right. I was asked to celestron Italy that U.S., but they tell me this is not the regular perfect tracking some items to the Zenith, in the sense that aligning myself well is not centered in the eyepieces from 25mm but they appear at the edges of the eyepieces. So I have to understand. Yes other objet not at the Zenith appear near the center of eyepieces.

I would not have been waiting for the expiration of the guarantee [emoji27]

Hi

You are correct, the starsense is supplied with a new hand controller. This contains the programming to handle the unique functions of the starsense. I have no experience of the Sky-Q so I don't know if it will be able to allow access to the starsense alignment routines. Maybe anyone else here who uses this combination can comment. You may have to align the scope using the hand-controller then use the Sky-Q for the rest of your session. Remember the SS also needs to plug into an AUX port or HC port (they are the same electronically) on the mount, or the spare port on the GPS device. Will you be able to connect all the devices simultaneously?

You are correct, the starsense is supplied with a new hand controller. This contains the programming to handle the unique functions of the starsense. I have no experience of the Sky-Q so I don't know if it will be able to allow access to the starsense alignment routines. Maybe anyone else here who uses this combination can comment. You may have to align the scope using the hand-controller then use the Sky-Q for the rest of your session. Remember the SS also needs to plug into an AUX port or HC port (they are the same electronically) on the mount, or the spare port on the GPS device. Will you be able to connect all the devices simultaneously?

Yes gps kit have extra connector, the problem is to understand if SKY-Q wifi app on my phone support unique function oh Statsense. Well at this time i have only to wait a ufficial reply from celestron. I have request technical support about my conbination of items.

Thanks for help, if celestron reply me i wtite reply to forum for all other user.

Go to:

http://www.celestron.com/support/manuals-software

Search for 'CFM' in the search box on the right of the page

Click on the 'Celestron Firmware Manager (CFM) v.1.7.3325' link at the bottom of the page. This will take you to the CFM download page.

Download the CFM software, and unzip the file. (This actually downloads CFM V1.7.4125 not 1.7.3325 as stated on the web page)

In the unzipped folder look at the file called '_ReadMe.txt' and the image called 'StarSense_Connection_Diagram.jpg'

This gives you all the information you need and how to connect up the mount and SS camera to your PC.

The image shows a different mount to yours but the connections to the Nexstar mount are the same. You need to connect a serial cable to the base of the hand-controller (via usb/serial adapter if you don't have a serial port) and a usb cable to the socket on the starsense. The starsense needs to be connected to an AUX port on the mount.

Hope this helps.

Go to:

http://www.celestron.com/support/manuals-software

Search for 'CFM' in the search box on the right of the page

Click on the 'Celestron Firmware Manager (CFM) v.1.7.3325' link at the bottom of the page. This will take you to the CFM download page.

Download the CFM software, and unzip the file. (This actually downloads CFM V1.7.4125 not 1.7.3325 as stated on the web page)

In the unzipped folder look at the file called '_ReadMe.txt' and the image called 'StarSense_Connection_Diagram.jpg'

This gives you all the information you need and how to connect up the mount and SS camera to your PC.

The image shows a different mount to yours but the connections to the Nexstar mount are the same. You need to connect a serial cable to the base of the hand-controller (via usb/serial adapter if you don't have a serial port) and a usb cable to the socket on the starsense. The starsense needs to be connected to an AUX port on the mount.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for info. I have found a direct link for upgrade http://software.celestron.com/updates/CFM/CFM/, then i have follow instruction. I have understand lather that the software for upgrade is the same of nexstar+ standard keyboard.

Well little review, camera work excellent. First use it was a little nightmare, but for my rush just to try it [emoji1]. At the first start i forgot that GPS kit set it home position to California, second i don't have understand clearly that first calibration is to be after manual allign [emoji53] . Result ? a veru strange thing

• 7 months later...

Yes gps kit have extra connector, the problem is to understand if SKY-Q wifi app on my phone support unique function oh Statsense. Well at this time i have only to wait a ufficial reply from celestron. I have request technical support about my conbination of items.

Thanks for help, if celestron reply me i wtite reply to forum for all other user.

@Vincex

Hello,

Do you have any update /reply from Celestron as I found myself in the same position like yours !

Have you resolved the multiple connections: mount-HandController-GPS unit-Star Sanse and the Sky-Q WiFi Link please !?

Thanks.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for info. I have found a direct link for upgrade http://software.celestron.com/updates/CFM/CFM/, then i have follow instruction. I have understand lather that the software for upgrade is the same of nexstar+ standard keyboard.

Well little review, camera work excellent. First use it was a little nightmare, but for my rush just to try it [emoji1]. At the first start i forgot that GPS kit set it home position to California, second i don't have understand clearly that first calibration is to be after manual allign [emoji53] . Result ? a veru strange thing . Before calibration i have try to search moon .... well monn is on left, scope went to right... But finally after one hour of fighting and astonishment, various resets, and after i checked that GPS had set the " time and the right place, perform manual allign, calibration, she seemed to have a new setting of a disarming precision. Very best. Unfortunately weather don't help me for other test is two day with cloud and rain. I hope on weekend to do other test, but i have see that all the object i search visible from town sky are find. Yes is expensive 338 euros not is a little, but if you think to use cam with next scope i hope can buy a cpc 800 8" the cost are less heavy.

Bye and thanks [emoji106]

@Vincex

Hello,

Do you have any update /reply from Celestron as I found myself in the same position like yours !

Have you resolved the multiple connections: mount-HandController-GPS unit-Star Sanse and the Sky-Q WiFi Link please !?

Thanks.

Would anyone recommend  buying the starsense for the celestron 127 nextstar mak, I have got the gps. THANKS.

Hi,

I've got the GPS unit and the StarSense as well. Plus the SkyQ but that is another story...

Once you understand the steps, as per a previous post above here, all working perfect and makes me very lazy !

I did it first time and it took around 15 minutes, i was waiting inside and wondering what takes so long to get the pictures...then, i realised I left the camera plastic cup cover on... :(

Not sure on your scope/mount...you will need handheld>gps>mount THEN starsense to aux,which your mount has it.

Enjoy it.

Hi,

I've got the GPS unit and the StarSense as well. Plus the SkyQ but that is another story...

Once you understand the steps, as per a previous post above here, all working perfect and makes me very lazy !

I did it first time and it took around 15 minutes, i was waiting inside and wondering what takes so long to get the pictures...then, i realised I left the camera plastic cup cover on... :(

Not sure on your scope/mount...you will need handheld>gps>mount THEN starsense to aux,which your mount has it.

Enjoy it.

Thanks for reply, I ask on another site but got very ignorant rely, he was up in the "clouds", will give the 3 start aliment another few goes, then buy the Starsense. thanks again for the reply.

Archived