Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Easy target

Jason71

Hi. My first ever telescope arrived today. A skywatcher 200p dob and I got some Helios Apollo High Resolution 15x70 binoculars so I have best of both worlds now :-)

So my question is. What is a easy target to go for ? With the dob for the first time. I want to see how good this is.

Thanks.

Jason.

Hi Jason

Welcome to the Dob mob :)

Great choice of scope. Many recommend the "turn left at Orion" book as a great guide when setting out.

The moon will look great through your Dob as will many deep sky treasures. Have you got "Stellarium"? This can help you pinpoint many targets.

An 8" Dob is a powerful scope that can show so many sights it's tough to pick

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Turn-Left-Orion-Hundred-Telescope/dp/0521781906

http://www.stellarium.org

Cheers every one. I think Jupiter and the Orion Nebula sound a good choice to start off :-)

I don't have stallarium because I have a iPad so I use star walk which is pretty good.

blumming thick with clouds outside , typical .

Stellarium is available on the ipad but is the mobile version so does not have all the features of the PC software - still enough when you are out observing. The only problem is that the search function is not compatable with the night vision mode so it is really bright if you are not expecting it!

There is plenty to see up there, you just need to know roughly where it all is.

Michael

Hi Jason

Found myself asking the same question a few weeks ago and got some great advice from the guys on here.

Jupiter is a must - wait as long as possible letting it get as high as you can. Then be patient, watch and the detail increases as your eyes adjust. View this for as long as you can, it is worth every minute. Have a look online at the locations of the moons, you will be able to see these easily and its awesome to identify them.

Orion Nebula is another target that blew me away, with little moon this is another fantastic view.

Albiero, this was the first thing i found and i always look for it, it is a fantastic double.

M45 is a lovely site, i prefer to view this in low magnification to get as much in as possible.

Andromeda - This is another easy one to find and its amazing when you read and research just what it is you are looking at.

Try picking a constellation and locating all around it. I am working through Auriga now, there are some great clusters in there.

Sure you will have loads of advice on where to start but the five i have picked really did leave an impression on me.

All the best

Andy

Archived