Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

How happy was I

Fypunky

My daughters telescope (crimbo pressie) arrived Friday last, my dear wife suggested I check everything was in the box that should be before we wrap it up. 

So yesterday I do the school run and race back to open it up, however the sky was clear and Mr Moon was still smiling down on us and temptation took the better of me so I suggested that it would be a better idea to set it up and make sure everything was ok.

Oh boy the moon was glorious, I tried both lenses that came with it and the extras we have bought her, I was taken back by the view.

I really cant wait now for those clear sky's in the new year as for the first time after searching with our bins we found Andromedia, because of the light pol around these parts it is just a mere smudge in the sky.

Livi also enjoyed seeing the moons of Jupiter.

The smile on her face when she first sees what the big box is and then to see the delights of the sky once out there is going to be as they say "priceless"

Awesome to get kids into astronomy. Their minds and imaginations are on full throttle the way it is. 

Just bought my first scope and just showing my kids the moon has opened up a world of questions. They want to know why there are holes in it lol.

Nice one..what did you buy?

From your enthusiasm it sounds like your daughter will be pleased.

After much research on forums and stuff, viewing, asking around we decided a good scope for her would be the Celestron Astromaster 130eq. Then in a good few years when she is earning a crust for herself and still enjoying astronomy she can upgrade and give dad the old one, unless dad can convince mum that he also requires one (slightly better of course  :grin: ).

Great stuff punkers! Loved the right up.

I have given my son my first scope - a Bresser 70mm refractor on a mount of dubious quality but he hasn't had an opportunity to try it out yet....

... I wish that I'd been into astronomy when he was a kid and that I had been able to watch his fascination with the hobby as you're about to with your daughter. My son is 31 now so better late than never eh!

Kind regards

Roger

Great write up.

Hope your daughter gets to enjoy her pressie, it seems as if dad might be tempted to hog it  :p

Good luck to you both.

hahaha, I have  cunning plan!

She is only nine years of age so on a school night is in bed for around 9pm so looks like dad will have to stay up for a bit to take it apart afterwards!

9pm, yeah right!!!

First clear "school day" nights use will blow the 9pm deadline out of the water.... or skies! 

Dad's gonna have to get tough if he want's to use the scope "after hours". 

Good luck to you both and clear skies.

Archived