NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Picked out scope, now what accessories?

Hi everyone?

I want to buy my husband a telescope for Christmas and I know *nothing* about them. I've been reading the beginners forum and have see several recommendations for http://www.firstlightoptics.com/dobsonians/skywatcher-skyliner-200p-dobsonian.html

1. Is this a good absolute beginner scope?

2. What accessories are absolutely needed to use this scope?

3. What accessories would be "nice" (but not absolutely necessary) to have? (I'd love to get him everything, but I don't have an unlimited budget. ;) )

4. Maybe a beginner book to go with the scope?

We live in West Yorkshire. He enjoy astrology programs, loves looking at the stars and learning about planets, comets, etc.

Thank you!

Hi Autumn, the scope comes with everything he will need to get started.  However, if you want to get a couple of extras I would recommend the following:

A Collimating eyepiece, this helps align the mirrors and is essential later on or if the telescope gets knocked about a bit (as in a car journey): http://www.firstlightoptics.com/other-collimation-tools/cheshire-collimating-eyepiece.html

I would also recommend the following book, Turn Left At Orion, a great book for beginners and experienced in deep sky astronomy:  http://www.amazon.co.uk/Turn-Left-Orion-Hundreds-Telescope/dp/0521153972/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1385374811&sr=8-1&keywords=turn+left+at+orion

Hope this helps.  All the best in your endeavour, and welcome to the forum btw!

Hello again Autumn, I forgot to add, the 200P Dobsonian you have been recommended is the perfect beginners scope.  Comes in two main parts - the mount, a wooden mounting box (called a Dobsonian Mount), and the telescope tube itself, and has two mirrors, a main primary mirror at the bottom of the tube, and a secondary mirror near the top, which reflects the image into the focuser and eyepiece.  Traditionally you get two eyepieces to start with, a low power one and a higher power one.  He will also get a finder scope to attach to the top of the tube which will need to be aligned to start off with. 

Any questions, just ask!

Hi the Cheshire is a great idea and a decent book if it's a starting out book I would suggest

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Philips-Night-Atlas-Robin-Scagell/dp/1849072418

The reason I say this is because on one page it give you a photo view of the sky and on the other a star map ,and for a,beginner it's brill ,I would hold back on any thing else and see how you go ,as buying lots of things at once just overwhelm thing a tad the eps that come with the scope should see you right for the forts couple of months,

Pat

hi Autumn,

I highly recommend you and your other half come along to a nights observing with the wakefield and district astronomical society - then you will both get a really good chance to try out a variety of different scopes before you commit to buying anything,

we're a very friendly bunch! keep track of when we're coming and going

here: http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/136363-wakefield-area/page-174

and here: http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/196629-wadas-wakefield-and-district-astronomical-society/page-8

and our website link is in my signature.

that 200mm dob is probably the most popular starter scope about - with good reason. Couple of the chaps in our group have the same sized scope and they are very happy with them.

The 200P Dob is an excellent scope, but I hope you realise how big it is.  It's a serious bit of kit to move around, and an extra piece of furniture when at home.  However, the views through a big scope like that are simply stunning.

As for extras, it really comes down to your own experience of what works for you, but there ar a few obvious things to think about.  If your husband really gets into astronomy you will never be stuck for birthday and Christmas present ideas.  What about:

A Rigel finder AND a right-angle finderscope.  There's nothing wring with the finder that comes with the scope but you do somethimes need the flexibility a limbo dancer to use it.

A star atlas (I like the Cambridge Star Atlas) and a book to give an idea of what's up there to look at.  Lots of people like "Turn Left at Orion", or there are plenty of alternatives including month-by-month guides.

A red head-torch.

An observing chair is useful as the Dob sits on the ground, drum stools and ironing chairs are popular.

A Cheshire Collimator, essential to keep the scope properly adjusted (search for Astro Baby's Collimation Guide for instructions).

Later on there will be new eyepieces.  Some people build up quite a collection based on their individual preferences.

Warm hat. Warm coat. Warm gloves. Warm socks, Warm boots. Thermal undies ... after optical gear, warm stuff is the best present for an astronomer.

Maybe a subscription to an astro magazine.

Membership of your local astro society.

Flask for hot drinks.

A planisphere.

I could go on....

Thank you, everyone, for all your fantastic suggestions!

I have a couple more questions, if I may.

Someone mentioned the size of the scope. I had not considered this. I thought, fully assembled, it was about 12 inches high and 12 inches long?  Can anyone give me a rough idea of size? It won't change my decision, I am just curious now!

Also, it comes with a mount, but what does that mean? Is that just the little stand that the tube is connected to? (Remember, I know NOTHINGGGGGG about telescopes. :D)  He has a tripod. Could he use that with the telescope or does he need a table or box or something to put it on so it would be at the right height if say, he was sitting in a normal size chair?

Thank you!

hi Autumn,

I highly recommend you and your other half come along to a nights observing with the wakefield and district astronomical society - then you will both get a really good chance to try out a variety of different scopes before you commit to buying anything,

Nick - I really appreciate this, but I want the gift to be a complete surprise. :)

Thank you for the link!  Sweet mother of God. Where am I going to hide this thing until Christmas? AND, where on earth are we going to put it afterward?? LMAO!  It's ginormous!!  I swear I thought it was about as big as a microscope.  :eek:

This made me lol to myself. It reminds me of some serious lying I’ve been guilty of in the past.

Honestly though, despite maybe being lower than your budget may allow, the 150 Dobsonian is a cracking bit of kit for a beginner. With portability and ease of carrying and setting up etc being most important, I would consider that as well.  We have a saying around here. The best telescope is the one you us the most. 

Hello,  wlecome

The weight and sizes of these scopes shipped can be found here. Of course boxed it will be quite a present. 

http://www.skywatcher.com/products.php?cat=6

Personally i'd say you need nothing extra to get started except for a collimating tool would be useful, especially in the case the scope is not well collimated on delivery, this can often be the case. Certainly in my case owning two dobs both were badly out of collimation on delivery, though the larger one was usable upon delivery, collimation  as supplied did not result in optimal views.

A cheap collimation cap like this one will do to start with if you don't want to splash out too much extra.

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/other-collimation-tools/rigel-aline-collimation-cap.html

A red dot finder, telrad or similar finder would be useful, but not essential. Personally though, and many find this too, it is hard to rely on the finder scope alone to know where to point the scope. A red dot finder or similar item helps a lot with that, but you can get by without it, see what it is like to use first and order one later. 

While buying a star atlas and/or books is useful to start with, there are plenty free applications such as stellarium and guides on the internet to get you going, so not essential either. A planisphere may be handy extra though when standing outside to get familiar with constellations and getting to know the sky.

Good luck.

If you don't want to take your husband to an astro meeting could you get along to one of the excellent astro shops in Yorkshire by yourself to view theses monsters in person and ask for their advice.

Both of these outlets are staffed by active enthusiastic astronomers and will be pleased to help. 

Rother Valley Optics:- http://www.rothervalleyoptics.co.uk/

Green Witch Telescopes:- http://www.green-witch.com/index.html

Good luck.

Hi Autumn, don't be put off by the size in the pictures, it has a fairly small footprint in reality, but imagine his looks when he sees and has to unpack two such large boxes, he'll be like a little kitty whose got at the cream, he'll always be thankful - I did this to my wife a few years ago and we've never looked back, she's used the telescope many times and it is the best and most used gift I ever bought her.

I'll stick a second in for Rother Valley - I went in having decided on the 200P Dob, but after talking to the guys there (Adam, I think), and them asking what I actually wanted it for (my much more attractive other half had turned a strange shade of white when she saw the size of the 200P in the flesh, by the way), I plumped for a 127mm Makutsov Cassegrain instead - basically, its a much smaller piece of kit that lives in the cupboard under the stairs fully set up. It won't quite show the detail that an 8" scope will give, but I can get it set up in about 2 minutes if I choose - its also pretty portable if I want to take it to a dark-sky sight. It will give decent views of the planets and the moon, and it will pick up most of the deep sky stuff as well - The 200P Dob will let you see much fainter objects though, and from what I gather, it is very easy to use, so as in most things, there is always a pay-off. Ultimately, I think that as long as you buy a reasonable quality scope to start with, then it will hopefully be capable enough to get you both hooked on the magnificent sights that are up there!! There's also a great post on one of the topics here on what you can expect to see through a home telescope, which is well worth a look - its pinned to one of the forums.

For the record, I've got my 127mm Mak, but I have got my eye set on adding an 8" reflector to my collection as well - now I've started, I can't stop myself.........

Thank you for the link!  Sweet mother of God. Where am I going to hide this thing until Christmas? AND, where on earth are we going to put it afterward?? LMAO!  It's ginormous!!  I swear I thought it was about as big as a microscope.  :eek:

I know people who have bought extra curtain material to make a cover for their Dob when it's sitting in the living room.

If the size does bother you then a good, and more portable, alternative is a 130mm reflector on an alt-az mount (I have a 130PDS on an AZ4).  It's just as easy to use as a Dob, but a lot easier to transport and store.  A 150mm Dob, as suggested above, is a lot smaller than the 200.  

Personally though, I wouldn't let the size put you off, the 200P is a very nice scope.

• 1 month later...

Hi Everyone!

I just wanted to thank you all for your help and suggestions. The Dobson 200P was a BIG HIT!  Watching him opening the boxes was funny. He was truly surprised. He is now immersed in reading the beginner guides I also bought him, to see what's what!  I told him about this great forum so he'll be joining soon.

So thank you again!! - Autumn :)

Archived