Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Photoshop v Paintshop

Nearly all imagers on SGL seem to use Photoshop.Obviously Photoshop must be better for astroimages,could you please tell me why it is better or what it does that Paintshop doesn't do.

I've been using Paintshop Pro Photo XI and want to give imaging a proper go and as i am going to be working a lot of OT the first 3 months of the year will have plenty of dosh for good camera,software etc.

Well as nobody replied to my question i've bought a copy and will find out myself.

Here is a basic review of Paint Shop,Photshop and elements i found on the web,comparing one against the other that might be of use to anyone wishing to know some of the pros and cons of each software package.

http://paintshoppro.info/tutorials/paintshoppro_vs_photoshop.htm

I've never used paintshop so don't know how it compares. One of the best things about photoshop is the vast bank of experience that has been gathered using it for astroimaging. There are lots of fantastic processing routines that have been developed, often ones that have no other application than astroimaging. So you have an easy routes up the learning curve.

The big big big thing for me with PS CS and upwards is it's 100% 16 bit capability. If you are using a CCD camera this is the killer feature. You can just go on stretching tha histogram with curves and the detail just keeps appearing. Pre CS versions didn't support 16 bit layers but CS does which gives you fantastic tweakability. Layers in PS are very powerful and flexible.

So If you can get hold of PS all well and good, if not then elements works in a very similar way- you can get a curves plug in and even a version of noels actions. If you are using Paintshop and are familiar with it then I'm sure you can use photoshop tutorials and quickly learn how to apply them. No Noels actions though

I wouldn't say one is better than the other; just 'different' It all comes down to personal preference tbh, they all do pretty much the same thing, just laid out differently or go about it in a different way. If you can use Photoshop, you're more than likely going to be able to use PaintShop with ease and vice versa.

I myself use Photoshop, simply because I've always used it and learnt using it. Just try the trial version of Photoshop and give PaintShop a go and see which you prefer because they are in essence the same programme. :D

Hope that helped, Josh.

Archived